WFMW: Fun lunches

Fun and easy summer lunches for kids:

• Double Decker PBJ: Peanut butter & jelly sandwiches made with 3 or even 4 slices of bread
  • Banana Dogs: If you’ve never tried peanut butter & banana sandwiches, you probably think we’re nuts. If you like peanut butter & banana sandwiches, try spreading the peanut butter on a hot dog bun, then fill with a whole banana. Also works well with a tortilla instead of the hot dog bun.
  • Tuna Cones: Mix tuna, mayo, pickles, etc as usual. Instead of bread, scoop into empty ice cream cones. I think it’s weird but my kids beg for these. Maybe because it’s weird?
  • Crunchy Ramen Noodles: This one’s weird too, and they love it. Just toss them a pack of raw ramen noodles. If they want, they can sprinkle the seasoning on top. Come on, it’s no worse than boiling them first, and who wants hot food when it’s 98 degrees outside?
  • Peanut Butter Banana Smoothies: We peel browning bananas and freeze in large ziplock bags. For a cold delicious thoroughly nutritious lunch, try blending 2 frozen bananas, a scoop of peanut butter, and some milk.

Fun and easy summer lunch for mom:

• Frappucino: make several ahead of time and freeze in empty water bottles. Make a little weaker than the recipe states, since you won’t be diluting it over ice: try 1 tsp. instant coffee, 2 tsp. sugar and 16-20 oz. lowfat milk. Shake, sip and squish into a slushy as it slowly defrosts. Great for picnics and hot summer afternoon errands in the car. Mmmmm. Coffee.

Check out the original Works For Me Wednesday lady here.

Comments

1. Oh, Kim, I check in, but it’s usually with Abigail on my lap, and I just don’t enjoy the one-handed typing, so I don’t comment to folks unless the occasion is just right!

And I’m checking each day with you now! Hoping to catch you in labor so I can pray!

Blessings!
    ~Karen

2. MamaK,
    Good to hear from you again. You’ve been quiet since the birth of your little one (Abigail, right?)

Nerdmom,
    If you’re trying to stay away from caffeine, you can make the frapuccino with instant decaf. Or are you looking for a way to work *cold* caffeine into your summer?

Upchucking Stephanie,
    Glad you’re enjoying the casseroles. I know the morning sickness feeling, and it’s worst w/little ones who must be fed regardless of how you feel.
    BTW, cold slushy frapuccinos sometimes settle well in a sick tummy, and being mostly milk they have a good dose of protein…

All –
    One of my favorite things about the smoothie is that it’s naturally sweet with no added sugar. And it’s very filling – just vary the amount of pnut butter depending on how rich you want it.

3. stephanie says:

I’ve made your frappachino before and it’s FANTABULOUS. Must get that recipe out for the summer. πŸ™‚

4. Stephanie says:

To the up-chucking pregnant lady, tuna cones and banana dogs aren’t quite welcome thoughts, but I’m storing the ideas away for brighter days! Oooh, and THANKS so much for the wonderful casseroles you gave us—you are a lifesaver in this house, and a common name around our table. I think Emma’s going to start asking “if Mrs. Coghlin made this” EVERY night!

5. Love the banana dog idea! Peanut butter banana smoothies sound pretty good, too. Thanks!

6. I may have to do the bannana dogs. I think the kids will love them. The frappes sound great. I miss caffeine:(.

7. We’ve got cones in the pantry!
    And bananas that NEED to get eaten!
    And hot dog buns!

WAHOO! What great ideas!

BTW, hope you’re feeling well and you’re baby holds off until house stuff is ready for him/her to arrive! Strength to you!

Blessings,
    Karen

8. Bethany says:

That all sounds terribly kid friendly. I shall see who is feeling brave at lunchtime tomorrow! I have the ingredients for all of those!!

9. Keltybug says:

Great lunch ideas. We love pb and bananas

10. The Daring One says:

I love those lunch ideas. Lunch is the hardest meal for me with the kidlets.

11. shannon @ rocks in my dryer says:

Awesome ideas–LOVE the PB/banana smoothie idea. My kids will thank you!

12. the banana dog is so funny, I have to tell my dad about that.

another sandwich idea – bread + mayo + cheese + lunchmeat + mayo + bread, make several, wrap them in foil, and bake them about 325 for 10 minutes, they are sooo yummy.

13. Gabriela says:

That smoothie sounds so good! Thanks for the ideas.

14. Those are just awesome ideas, I usually have a hard time with the kids and lunches so this will help πŸ™‚

15. Great tips!

Mine is up now at: http://www.garrettscorner.blogspot.com

I love all these food tips! Makes life more tasty!

16. Wow! These are all very unique…some of them I’m brave enough to try, but others…like the tuna cones, I’m not sure of…

Great ideas though, and I can see how they really could spice up any “normal” lunch time.

17. Ash,
    I know it sounds weird, but the cones don’t have any sugar or special flavor – they’re just like crackers if you think about it.
    But honestly, I’m with you. I take mine on bread. πŸ™‚

Barb,
    Cinnamon sounds great! You might also try adding cocoa, or caramel instead of the sugar. The possibilities are as varied as Startbucks but way cheaper!

18. Yummy! I love the banana dog idea and the frappes for mommy! Thanks so much for the idea- I get tired of being inventive πŸ˜‰

19. Laura Ashley says:

I’m a strange eater. I eat fried tofu, seaweed, tempeh bacon, tomato basil burgers, and hemp bread. Yet I don’t think I’m brave enough to try tuna in an ice cream cone.

20. The banana dog is hilarious! My kids would definitely go for that and the tuna cone.
    (heads off to kitchen to make the Frappacino…)

21. Lovin’ your ideas! I want to try the banana dog and the Frappacino for mom! Lunch can get boring sometimes, so, thanks for making it fun again!!

22. I’m going to try one of those banana dogs! They sound goooood. You know what else is yummy? Wrap a slice of cheese around a banana for a snack. Okay…we’d better run. I think I hear the Food Police sirens…

23. Jennifer says:

Okay, I have eaten PB and banana sandwiches, but I never ever thought of making a banana dog. That is excellent!!

24. Barb, sfo says:

I think you have just given me the recipe for my “take to the pool” drink! YUM!
    I like mine with cinnamon, thanks πŸ™‚