Infestation

We have an infestation.
We have daddy longlegs. They move in during dry weather, because they need humidity: they congregate in the bathroom.
They overrun us when it rains. I’m not sure why. Isn’t rain 100% humidity?
They come in a surprising assortment:

• daddy longlegs: 6 legs, 2 long feelers
  • daddy long leg: this is what you find when somebody (e.g. the cat) scares them and they leave behind a leg or two
  • daddy no-legs: this is the rest of what you find after the cat has caught one.
  • DADDY LONG LEGS!!!! this is when they gather into a big hairy ball of 6000 legs and 1000 bodies. They do this. We call them hairballs. They are nightmarishly creepy if you disturb them, like something out of a cheesy horror film. As you approach, they look like an innocent clump of moss, but then they notice you. They all start to bounce in unison. Then the edges break and run, and slowly it dawns upon the observer that this 18″ clump of moss is built entirely of arachnids.

Fortunately the hairballs only grow to this size under our house. The ones inside tend to stay at less than 300 legs, unless we have a fish tank spewing out humidity. Then they call in the kinfolk and have an old-fashioned family reunion. We got rid of the fish tank.

Comments

1. Anonymous says:

first of all daddy long legs happen to be the MOST poisonness (SP) spider of all spiders…BUT the jaw isnt BIG enough to bite a human being.

2. Mom2fur says:

Amy Hofman, that’s a funny story! Young Dad, for me it’s a true phobia. I’m tolerant enough if they aren’t near me, and I’d never kill a spider outdoors (it’s their territory) but put me in a closed space with one–like a car–and I freak.
    And the funny thing is that I love rodents. I actually have a pet rat! I like snakes, too–but never had one.

3. Just stumbled onto your blog (the title really realed me in). That is the creepiest thing I think that I have ever heard of. All those little legs are going to give me nightmares.

4. Erin M in MO says:

Not being a spider fan, this post and all the comments are making me shudder. PLEASE keep your Daddy Long Legs in TX… I’ll keep fighting the infestation of ants in our kitchen! Suddenly those don’t seem so bad. 😉

5. Paulette says:

ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww That about covers it. Cannot handle them cannot even say it.

6. Oh, they don’t bother me much unless they decide to migrate across my bedroom during the night, via my face. Then I’m a little bothered. Or if one is enjoying the humidity in my bath towel and I try to brush him away and his legs FALL OFF AND STICK TO MY DAMP BODY. AAAAHHHHH.
    Sorry.
    Yes, I know they’re harmless little not-spider creatures. I just wish they held onto their legs a little better and had more love for the great outdoors.

And Amy –
    We prefer the vacuum cleaner to squishing. No messy spots to clean up afterward.
    😉

7. Kili @ Live Each Moment says:

ewwwww, i hate those things!

8. I remember those hairballs when I was a kid growing up in central TX. They would all congregate in a corner and form a big hairy bouncing mass. Weird. They never really bothered me though. Now tarantulas…

9. Amy Hofman says:

Kim – Thought you might get a kick out of this little story~ Take care:)

A father watched his daughter playing in the garden. He smiled as he reflected on how sweet and
    innocent his little girl was. Suddenly she just stopped and stared at the ground.
    He went over to her and noticed she was looking at two spiders mating.

“Daddy, what are those two spiders doing?” she asked.
    “They’re mating,” her father replied.

“What do you call the spider on top, Daddy?” she asked. That’s a Daddy Long legs.” Her father answered. “So, the other one is Mommy Long legs? ” the little
    girl asked. “No”,her father
    replied. “Both of them are Daddy Long legs.”
    The little girl thought for a moment, then took her foot and stomped them flat and said “Well, it might be OK in California or Massachusetts, but we’re
    not having any of that crap in Texas.”

10. MegLogan says:

EEEWWWW… RUN!!!

OH goodness YUCK!

I remember loving daddy long legs when i was a girl, i used to pick them up by the leg and let them crawl on my arms! Gives me the creeps now though!!

We find one or two in our house now, and i always tell my son to go get it! lol

Mrs. Meg Logan

11. Disney loving Frugal Mom says:

I was determined I was having a girl. God knew better and made sure everyone else knew that too. Since I was given tons of hand me downs for a boy. Low and behold almost 15 years have passed and I still look back on those baby days with a smile. I can only hope I can look at the teen years the same way.

12. young dad says:

Come on! Daddy long legs are harmless. They don’t bite at all. I hate spiders too, but daddy long legs don’t bother me. I let my kids catch them and look at them. They think its great. They know not to pick other spiders up though. We have a lot of black widows here in Louisiana. Very poisonous and THEY JUMP! I caught one last year for my son to look at and when we let it go IT JUMPED AT ME!!! Now that was scary.

13. ugh! It made me itch to read that!! Here we are dealing with earwigs. I’m weary of them.

14. Gross, creeepy. Creepy and Gross. This mother would definitely find herself a new shoe to dwell in.

15. Mom2fur says:

Oh, gosh, I am NEVER coming to where you live. EVER. I hate, hate, hate spiders. Ugh…creepy!