Oh happy day! (potty training)

Our Little Red is eating lots of potty candy these days.
She has been using the potty on occasion for the last few weeks. Mostly she uses it for gas. Yes, that gets candy too, since she is recognizing some sort of imminent bodily function. I want to teach her to play it safe on this stuff.
Yesterday I encouraged her to use it when she woke up. She actually peed (hurrah!) and was cheered and received her candy.
I went out on a limb and casually left her diaper off, and she told us when she needed to go again. This was unprecedented for her! Hurrah and candy!
She peed just once on the floor and had absolutely no more accidents all day. I put her in a diaper for nap, but she woke up dry 2 hours later and went right to the bathroom.
Hurrah and candy!
Her “potty candy” is white chocolate chips. We happen to have an abundance of these right now, so it works. After peeing in the potty all day and receiving her white potty candy, she spotted me eating some of my secret stash: Hershey’s Special Dark Chocolate Chips.
“Is that your potty candy, Mommy? Did you poop in the potty?”
We’re not going to analyze that statement too much, OK? I have to mention, though, that she specifically requested some of my potty candy after her first bowel movement of the day.

Now – don’t hate me for this – she slept in a diaper and woke up dry, asking to go potty.
No, you can’t have her. She’s mine. And today, she’s getting her very own brand new package of Winnie the Pooh panties.

Comments

1. oops. That was me. I was logged into my birthday girl’s blog to tinker with her template.

2. Anonymous says:

Sherri,
    You are *so* right. That’s why the 2yo is getting the white chocolate. I think she has figured out the game though – we’ll have to upgrade her to real chocolate soon if we want her to keep performing.

Maggie,
    Good to see you again! I stop in at your blog now and then but missed you here!
    I don’t blame Gebre. I’m smitten with my Little Red too. :)

3. CappuccinoLife says:

Just have to tell you, Gebre saw the photo of Little Red :) and he’s smitten.

4. a suburban housewife says:

WHITE chocolate? Surely an oxymoron if ever I heard one.

Congrats on potty success!

5. Congrats to your little Red. I’m jealous! My little Red ds is 3.5 yo and we’re currently potty training. He likes to sit but will not go in the potty…hoping he’ll catch on soon. Enjoy her success!

6. Laura,
    Nice to meet you. Let me know when your blog is up. I know nothing about macs, but blogger itself lets you post the photos so it shouldn’t be too different.

Kim,
    Nice to meet you as well. I noticed you’ll be having a Lydia like we do!
    About potty training a boy, I keep hearing that they tend to train a little later but are often easier. We’ll see for ourselves soon enough…

Granny,
    I’m still laughing! I wonder if my daughters will feel that way about chocolate chips when they’re grown!

7. Anonymous says:

Kim,
    I just discovered your blog last week and have been reading your archives. It’s been such a HUGE encouragement to me. My husband and I live in GA. We’ve been married for 3 1/2 years and have 3 little arrows in our quiver (ages 2 1/2, 19mo, and 5mo) and we’re praying that #4 will be on its way soon! My parents and in-laws are very supportive of our views on birth control (or lack thereof!) and children, for which I’m extremely thankful. But encouragement otherwise is pretty scarce here, even among our church family (most of whom think that having a lot of children is cute and novel, but also rather irresponsible). So I really appreciate your blog and the other links that you have on it. Thank you! I’ve been trying to get my own blog up and running for some time now, but I can’t figure out how to post photos…we have a Mac. Does anyone else with a Mac have problems with photos?

Laura

P.S. I’m almost through potty training my oldest (a boy). It’s not been my favorite part of child rearing so far, but it’s fun to see him learn and be excited about it. I had been feeling guilty about giving him candy after he uses the potty, but your post today (and the comments from others) helped me to feel better about it. :-)

8. Anonymous says:

Kim I am SO analyzing your statement ;) Matter of fact, I think I need a special reward too :D

9. Anonymous says:

Wow how exciting. I just blogged about this myself so I know the joy you get when potty training happens!

10. Congratulations! That sounds like how we potty train…great excitement and cheering when they actually do it! I will be potty training our first boy next…I need help with that! : )

Kim

11. Ah…the milestones. My oldest three daughters swear that they get the urge to pee every time they see or smell carob stars, which was my treat of choice during those years :-)

12. Thanks for the advice and encouragement and for rejoicing with us – potty training is always a bit daunting, even after so many!

Jaime,
    I agree on the wiping. We always do this for our little ones. I was wondering just yesterday how a 2yo could possibly be expected to do it well – she can hardly reach her own bottom and is hardly familiar with the geography there. :)
    Though I must say, if we did it for them til age 5-7 I would do nothing but wipe bottoms all day long, literally. I always have at least 4 or 5 children 6yo and under. Yikes!

Joyce,
    Thank you for reminding me of the value of praise. Of course we’re praising lavishly now, but I need to remember to keep it up after the exciting first day or two.

13. Hurray!
    Rejoicing along with you!

14. Congrats! My daughter did the same thing. I got fed up one day stuck her in real panties she had three accidents in one day though and that was it, hasn’t looked back since! Go mom that is a huge step for the both of you! We did M & M’s and let me tell you even now months later she will ask me after she goes potty for a peice of candy….and yes I give it to her! My theory is you have to do what is best for your own family and not worry about what anyone else is doing…I know I am preaching to the choir on this one, after all you have potty trained five other children!!! Blessings!

15. Joyce's Ramblings says:

Great Day!! Candy is nice but your praise will do more. Don’t stop the candy= she has learned the value of it;even mom has poop rewards. Loved it. It brought back vivid memories of my last child and how I started to train him the day I was busy with my dad tileing my kitchen floor. After I took off his wet diaper I didn’t take time to put on another. I put on pants and scooted him out of kitchen and told him to stay outof the room. When he came in later and said he had to get to the bathroom I knew itwas time for me totrain. It didn’t take much time at all when mom was busy and there was no pressure.

16. Anonymous says:

A few months before I was born my dad met a stranger that was new to our Tennessee town

From the beginning dad was fascinated with this newcomer.

And soon invited him to live with our family.

The stranger was quickly accepted and was around to welcome me into the world a few months later

As I grew up, I never questioned his place in our family.

In my young mind, each member had a special niche.

My brother bill, five years my senior was my example.

Fran, my older sister, gave me an opportunity to play

“Big brother” and develop the art of teasing.

My parents were complementary instructors- Mom taught me.

To love the word of God, and Dad taught me to obey it.

…..But the stranger was our storyteller.

He could weave the most fascinating tales.

Adventures, mysteries, comedies, were daily conversations.

He could hold the whole Family spellbound for hours each evening.

If I wanted to know about Politics, History, or science,

He knew it all

He knew about the past, understood the present, and could seemingly predict the future.

The pictures he could draw were so lifelike, that I would often laugh or cry when I watched.

He was like a friend to the whole family.

He took Dad, Bill and me to our first major league baseball game.

He was always encouraging us to see the movies he has seen,

Made arrangements to introduce us to several movie stars.

The stranger was an incessant talker. Dad didn’t seem to mind.

But sometimes mom would quietly get-up while the rest of us were enthralled with one of his far-away places and go to her room to read her bible and pray. I wonder now if she ever prayed that the stranger would leave.

You see, my dad ruled over our household with certain moral convictions.

But this stranger never felt obligated to honor them. Profanity, for example, was not allowed in our house. – Not from us from our friends, or adults.

Our longtime visitor, however, occasional four letter words that burned my ears and made Dad squirm.

To my knowledge the stranger was never confronted. My dad was a teetotaler who didn’t permit alcohol in his home- not even for cooking.

But the stranger felt like we needed exposure and enlightened us to the ways of life. He often offered us beer and other alcoholic beverages.

He made cigarettes look tasty, cigars look manly, and pipes distinguished.

He talked freely, (Much too freely) about sex. His comments were sometimes blatant, sometimes suggestive, and generally embarrassing.

I know now that the stranger influenced my early concepts of the man-woman relationship.

The stranger began to discuss personal issues and aliments without regard to the tender ears that might be listening or the fat it was mealtime.

Some of the topics caused mom to leave the table!

Time after time he opposed the values of my parents. Yes he was seldom rebuked and never asked to leave.

More than 30 years have passed since the stranger moved in on Morningside Dr.

He is not nearly as intriguing to my Dad as he was in those early years.

But if I were to walk into my parent’s den today, you would still see him sitting over in a corner, waiting for someone to listen to him talk, and watch him draw his pictures.

He never told us his name- we always used his initials:

T.V

“I will walk within my house in the integrity of my hear;

I will set no worthless thing before my eyes;

I hate the work of those who fall away:

It shall not fasten its grip upon me”

Psalm 101

17. Hi!

Congrats on Little red!
    I have a 4yo Daughter.
    Potty training her was not easy.
    I found that timing, a “Once apon a potty” book (read over and over while she sat on the potty)and mini m&m’s worked fine.

Her BM was the first thing she did, and kept going to the potty for.
    Peepees came second lol.

Beware, I did not know this,
    So I am warning you.
    Be sure to be clear about what good hygine is. Keep modeling it.
    Don’t depend on your child to EVER be sanitary
    unless they KNOW and UNDERSTAND good Hygine.
    (age 5-7 perhaps)

This is something to take very seriously.

Don’t worry about teaching your daughter
    to wipe herself BYHERSELF.

Always acompany her to the bathroom.

I highly reccomend->
    Continue to wipe with baby wipes for poo. toss in trsh can near potty.
    At least till she is about 5-7.
    Don’t worry, Secular friends, Tv, and preschool kids are wrong.
    A Big kid is not requiered to wipe till older and wiser.
    Your daughter deserves a healthy happy life.

18. Hip hip hooray for Little Red!(that is so weird that you refer to her as Little Red, because my 1 and only red headed boy is referred to as Little Red)