Blanket training revisited

I’ve noticed that my Blanket Training from long ago still gets quite a few hits from the search engines. There seems to be a lot of misunderstanding about the whole idea of teaching a baby to stay put.
Although I’ve not yet taught The Boy to do this, I am tempted just so that I can tell the doubters and naysayers exactly what is NOT happening to him.
Yes, I’m a troublemaker. Sorry ’bout that.

I am no expert, and every parent will do things a little differently. There is no Official Webster’s Definition for blanket training. It’s not in Wikipedia either. In fact, it’s really hard to find any real definition for blanket training.
Do you know what that means? Anyone who wants to claim the term gets to make up the definition.

Blanket Training: a definition

/blanket training/: the act of teaching a baby or toddler to stay within the bounds of a blanket which has been spread upon the floor or ground. The blanket and practice may vary widely among users. Often, but not exclusively, practiced in large families.

Blanket Training: the rules

Since I defined the term, I also get to make up the rules. Here are my rules:

1. Children, obey your parents in the Lord, for this is right. Eph. 6:1

That’s all. Just one rule. As I mentioned many moons ago, the idea is simply to begin teaching babies self-control and obedience from the start.
How a parent begins to teach a baby to obey the fifth commandment is a matter of method rather than principle, so it will and ought to vary widely from one house to the next. Blanket training is simply one tool that some families choose to use in that process.

So now let’s talk about what blanket training is not.

Blanket Training Misconceptions

Blanket training does not mean that the baby never explores freely; it does not mean that the baby lives on the blanket; it does not mean that the baby cries alone on the blanket while the rest of the family turns up the volume on the television.
Like a playpen, blanket training provides a clear boundary for the baby for those times when you don’t want your baby to wander freely. This does not take the place of holding, snuggling, tickling, feeding or any other form of attention. Even when we did blanket one of our babies, she spent very little time on the blanket – just as our babies now spend very little time confined in any way.

Blanket Training Objections

Some will say that it is demeaning to teach a baby to stay where you put her.
Why do they think that a cage playpen is less demeaning? Or maybe obedience in general is demeaning…I wonder how they feel about Ephesians 5:22?

Others will say that a baby’s curiosity is stifled.
How is this more stifling than when I wear my baby in my Ergo or carry him on my hip? I would venture to say that he has better peripheral vision in the middle of the floor than smushed up against my chest. Maybe I really do need to get started on blanket training The Boy. I’m afraid I’ve been stifling his curiosity.

They might say that the parent who practices blanket training smacks around the edge of the blanket with a wooden spoon to demonstrate the boundary.
I’m partial to a cattle prod myself
I don’t, but so what if some parents do?

Some say that the baby is taught to stay by means of fear.

Ah-ha. Now we come to the heart of the matter. I suspect that most people who are horrified at the idea of blanket training are also staunchly opposed to corporal punishment. The question is not really about whether or not the baby gets a smack on the tush and how old she is when it happens, but why would anyone ever spank a child.

And that, my friends, is a post for another day.

Comments

1. Sarah Rachel,
    Blanket training is far easier when you start younger, esp. if you start before the baby is mobile.
    I’m not sure blanket training is the answer for a child that old. You could certainly use it, but it’s really just a convenient tool to teach boundaries. At 22 months, your son could just as easily learn to sit in a chair or wherever you choose to put him. No matter where you want him to be, it’s largely an obedience issue at his age. Of course, you’ll want to start gently since he’s probably not accustomed to having limits like this put upon him. Don’t expect him to stay for long, but do require him to obey commands that he understands. You want to teach him to be self-governing, not to be a lump. :)

2. Sarah Rachel says:

Hello,
    I think blanket training is a great idea and I wish I would of started sooner with my son so he would stay put during church services. He is 22 months old and very strong willed. I just started blanket training with him and its a real challege. Do you have any tips for someone like me trying to trian an older baby do this. We really on want him to stay on the blaket for nap times at home, church and when he needs a nap and we are at a friends house. I don’t know if he will play on the blanket. I am pregnant with my second son which is due Jan 2008. I would love to get Jacob to the point where he wills stay put during church. He runs around and I am always stuck in the mothers room. It will be hard to be in the mothers room with two babies. Do you have tips for me that might help. Will he be able to figure this out in time for the new babys arrival? I wish I would of started sooner. They do have speakers in the mothers room to hear the sermon but I really want to be next to my husabnd and focus more on the sermons. I am praying about this also. Well thank you for your web site- I will do this much sooner with my next child and perhaps it will be easier. How long on average does it take to train a 5 or 6 month old to stay on the blanket?

Thanks

Sarah Rachel

I have pictures of my son under Jacobs page.

3. Doug,

I will reply as soon as I have a chance. I’m doing double duty at work and fighting a ear ache/ sore throat at the same time so bear with me for a day or so.

You bring up some good points that bear addressing.
    Pc3

4. Martin Bunch says:

What do you think the purpose of the bible was?

I think this is the far more important issue. It talks about how to live your life. It talks about Jesus who came and died for our sins, Kids included. And that is an emotional issue. It talks about Living in the image of christ. Who did christ give corporal punishment too again? I am pretty sure he left the women at the well. Right? I am just not willing to place more value on one scipture more that another as it seems you are. God created everyone in his image and our goal needs to be to follow in his image. Take the bible as a whole not just a few scriptures.

I wish you the best. We will find out in the end who was right as we will be judged. but I do sleep well at night knowing that my Jesus loves me and I have no fear of being judged.

I am pretty sure that my jesus would want me to treat my children with respect, love and care. And I have no doubt that you have a lot of love for them and care and I just concerned about the respect.

Anyway. I wish you the best
    Doug

5. Martin Bunch says:

Todd Agnew “My Jesus” The song is beautiful, if you care to find it online and listen.

If you really want to know the Jesus I FOLLOW… This song sums it up. Thank you for putting a conviction in my heart to understand God’s purpose in me, know where I stand, and know my salvation through HIM is what makes me okay in my life, not the opinions of others.

Which Jesus do you follow?
    Which Jesus do you serve?
    If Ephesians says to imitate Christ
    Then why do you look so much like the world?

Cause my Jesus bled and died
    He spent His time with thieves and liars
    He loved the poor and accosted the arrogant
    So which one do you want to be?

Blessed are the poor in spirit
    Or do we pray to be blessed with the wealth of this land
    Blessed are they that hunger and thirst for righteousness
    Or do we ache for another taste of this world of shifting sand

Cause my Jesus bled and died for my sins
    He spent His time with thieves and sluts and liars
    He loved the poor and accosted the rich
    So which one do you want to be?

Who is this that you follow
    This picture of the American dream
    If Jesus was here would you walk right by on the other side or fall down and worship at His holy feet

Pretty blue eyes and curly brown hair and a clear complexion
    Is how you see Him as He dies for Your sins
    But the Word says He was battered and scarred
    Or did you miss that part
    Sometimes I doubt we’d recognize Him

Cause my Jesus bled and died
    He spent His time with thieves and the least of these
    He loved the poor and accosted the comfortable
    So which one do you want to be?

Cause my Jesus would never be accepted in my church
    The blood and dirt on His feet would stain the carpet
    But He reaches for the hurting and despised the proud
    I think He’d prefer Beale St. to the stained glass crowd
    And I know that He can hear me if I cry out loud

I want to be like my Jesus!
    I want to be like my Jesus!

Not a posterchild for American prosperity, but like my Jesus
    You see I’m tired of living for success and popularity
    I want to be like my Jesus but I’m not sure what that means to be like You Jesus
    Cause You said to live like You, love like You but then You died for me
    Can I be like You Jesus?
    I want to be like my Jesus

6. Thank you, Kim (and your husband). When it comes right down to it, opinions really don’t matter. Praise the Lord for Him and His infallible Word!! I am thankful I read can the Scriptures and not rely upon someone’s persuasions. Sadly not everyone will understand this. God bless you and your family!

~Angela

7. Mr. and Mrs. Martin Bunch,

You are doubly mistaken about our church.
    First, it appears that you have read and believed the propaganda of an angry and thoroughly discredited woman. She has been proven a liar by more creditable sources than I can list here, but you will easily find the other side of the dispute if you are interested in hearing it.
    Second, we don’t attend the church in question (although we enjoy visiting on occasion). We are reformed presbyterians and worship with a CREC congregation.
    Also, I find it interesting that your answers did not deal at all with the Scripture presented nor did you base your own answers on Scripture; rather your answers were based entirely upon your own emotional conclusions. If you profess to be Christians, don’t you think that the Bible is perfect and complete, and applicable to every area of life?
    Why not try explaining why you think the verses we have quoted are not good supports for corporal discipline, and then build your own case upon Scripture?

8. Martin Bunch says:

This is the husband of Martin Bunch.

I have been reading about the church that you belong to. It is very concerning. I think you are forgetting one great thing.

GOD’S Love……… A fathers Heart….. My Fathers {God’s} heart is not about corporal punishment. If that was true we would all be bruised and beaten. Right?

I can take the bible as it is and I have read the bible not front to back as maybe you have. But it seams you have taken a few scriptures and twisted them to fit what you are trying to accomplish.

It seems that your church was written by man in 1999. {Please correct me if I am wrong}. Do you really ask your wife to be completly submissive to you? Are the women really not allowed to go to college? Are the women really not allowed to be educated? I have read a history of a women was told to leave the church because of the way that she did not enslave herself to her husband.

As far as the discipline of children. My kids are the most well behaved kids and guess what. We do not hit them. We do not spank them. We do not use an violence what so ever. We beleive in showing them love, compassion and grace which god shows each and everyone one of us.

As far as the person questioning my wife on not showing herself as a happy lovely person in her responses. Well, This is what we believe. We are to love everyone, And we do. Although you may not like our answers all the time we do love, we do pray and we do hope for the best for everyone. However we do not have to condone, we do not have to tolerate the actions of others. AS long as we are not sitting on the sidelines ignoring what is happening around us.

We allow everyone to come to church, it is not a county club, it is not a 5 star restaraunt that only certain people are allowed to come. Come as you are, And we will love you. Come as you are and we will pray for you.

Remember this, Jesus was a poor man. Jesus was barfoot and bloody. Jesus was a hurting man. He died for us so we would not have to feel the pain for our sins as they are forgiven. So if Jesus died for us so that we are forgiven so that we would not have to feel the pain for our sins so why do you feel the need to show pain to your kids. I do not understand.

I do not think that jesus would ever hang out with the quote un quote christian crowd. He would hang out with the people that need him.

I read on a blog that you were upset that a family got out of a dirty van and that the family was dirty. And you made a thread about it. Ya know what the lack of love that you are showing people is very disturbing. Rember in the bible god hung out with the lady who cheated on her husband, God hung out with the broken, confused and the hurting. Not the people who try to show the perfect family.

Alright I am now done ranting. If you would like to discuss the more in depth with me or would like directions to my church where you might meet a different side of god. Please email me at [email protected].

In no way are we perfect. In no way are we better than anyone else. We are gods children and I hope that you feel the true gods love and that you are able to show it to all of your wonderful children.

Give your kids more respect, give your wife more respect. Show my wife respect as I show here. We are 50-50 and god loves her equally so why would I love her any less. Why would you show her anyless respect. Everyone has a right to education.

Women are not enslaved to men. Women deserve more than what it seems your church is giving them.

Women have a vote, Women need to speak up. Maybe you need to enslave yourself to your wifes happiness.

Good Luck to you

email me anyime at [email protected].

Thanks
    doug

9. Martin Bunch says:

I was just interested in seeing your response and I will NEVER look at your blog again. I have done some research on the “church” you attend and find it danderously close to a cult. Please leave me alone, as I do not want to hear from you or your “believers”. As I said in my last post, I pray that someday God’s TRUTH will be revealed in your life, as I pray the same for myself daily. May God remove satan’s blinders from your eyes and learn the true grace and love of Christ.

10. Happy Momma says:

Well said!

11. Martin Bunch,

You asked for clarification so I’ll give you a bit.

For one thing there is a difference between malicious and pejorative* you were being pejorative.

First of all Kim never said we use a spoon on our infants you did.

I quote
    “I have never heard of a shepherd beating his flock into submission”
    “I can’t imagine “punishing” a baby for learning and exploring their world.”
    “It takes time and patience, not a quick slap, hit, or whatever you do”

In fact Kim clarified things for you when she said “Actually the spoons were
    tongue-in-cheek.” and your comments illustrate perfectly if unintentionally why she did it.

Yet if you want to discuss the foundational issues of child rearing philosophy
    we are happy to do so, we simply ask you to leave the inflammatory rhetoric
    at the door.

Our child rearing philosophy and technique is based upon our understanding
    of the plain meaning of Holy Scripture. We believe that the Bible can be
    read easily and plainly by everyday folk like you and me and my wife
    (KimC.) and can be understood to mean just what it says.

You have made some unsupportable assertions that show you probably don’t
    know what the entirety of Scripture says about discipline, fear, or
    chastisement. I will show you a few things now from the pages of Scripture
    and you can see for yourself why we believe what we do.

Here are several things you wrote above that give that the impression you
    are simply unfamiliar with what Scripture teaches about spanking and
    chastisment in general

You said:
    “One thing I am HORRIFIED with is that you placed a picture of wooden spoons
    on this post. Everyone reverts to “spoil the rod, spoil the child”, however
    I have never heard of a sheperd beating his flock into submission.”
    (Pc3′s note : “Spare the rod, spoil the child” is not in the scripture
    anywhere, and although it sounds good it’s one of Ben Franklin’s
    witiscisms )

“Do you have an ages and stages guide to when you move forward with beating
    your children more?
    Where is the verse you stand by, just wondering?’”

“And no I am not interested on learning how to hit my children. I am doing
    just fine with teaching my children boundaries, ethics, and values without
    putting fear into them to do so.”

” FYI- By the way a shepherd uses his “rod” to move his flock in the desired
    direction and does not beat his flock.”

Now let me show you a few verses pertinent to this topic from the King James
    version of the Bible.

Proverbs 23:12-14
    Apply thine heart unto instruction, and thine ears to the words of
    knowledge.Withhold not correction from the child: for if thou beatest him
    with the rod, he shall not die.Thou shalt beat him with the rod, and shalt
    deliver his soul from hell.

Here’s a little word study for fun :)

The Hewbrew word for correction is “rowm” (Strong’s Number: 04148)
    thethree definitions are as follows: discipline, chastening, correction.

The Hebrew word for child is “r[n” (Strong’s Number: 05288)
    the definitions are: a boy, lad, servant, youth, retainer

The Hebrew word for beat and beatest is “hkn” (Strong’s Number: 05221)
    the definitions are : to strike, smite, hit, beat, slay, kill
    (Niphal) to be stricken or smitten
    (Pual) to be stricken or smitten
    (Hiphil) to smite, strike, beat, scourge, clap, applaud, give a thrust; to
    smite, kill, slay (man or beast); to smite, attack, attack and destroy,
    conquer, subjugate, ravage; to smite, chastise, send judgment upon, punish,
    destroy
    (Hophal) to be smitten; to receive a blow; to be wounded; to be beaten;
    to be (fatally) smitten, be killed, be slain; to be attacked and captured;
    to be smitten (with disease); to be blighted (of plants)

The Hebrew word for deliver is “lcn” (Strong’s Number: 05337)
    and the definition for deliver is: to snatch away, deliver, rescue, save, strip,
    plunder (Niphal) to tear oneself away, deliver oneself ; to be torn out or away, be
    delivered
    (Piel) to strip off, spoil ; to deliver
    (Hiphil) to take away, snatch away; to rescue, recover; to deliver (from
    enemies or troubles or death) ;to deliver from sin and guilt

and finally hell means “the place of death” or “the place of no return.”

I’m not sharing this to wow you with my knowledge of Hebrew. Frankly I don’t
    know much Hebrew. I just know how to use the Bible search at crosswalk:)
    My point is to show you the clear teaching of scripture that physical
    discipline is not only good but necessary to “snatch away” your child’s soul
    from “the place of the dead” by “chastening” them.

Many Christians today might protest that this is the Old Testament… surely
    a God of love that sent his son Jesus to die for the world would never ask
    me to hit my child?

Right?

Let’s have a look at Hebrew 12:5-9

And ye have forgotten the exhortation which speaketh unto you as unto
    children, My son, despise not thou the chastening of the Lord, nor faint
    when thou art rebuked of him: For whom the Lord loveth he chasteneth, and
    scourgeth every son whom he receiveth. If ye endure chastening, God dealeth
    with you as with sons; for what son is he whom the father chasteneth not?
    But if ye be without chastisement, whereof all are partakers, then are ye
    bastards, and not sons. Furthermore we have had fathers of our flesh which
    corrected us, and we gave them reverence: shall we not much rather be in
    subjection unto the Father of spirits, and live?

The words here for chastisement and scourge refer to both verbal correction
    and to the physical correction of corporeal punishment. See what the passage
    says “if ye be without chastisement, whereof all are partakers, then are ye bastards, and not sons.” If we
    are not partakers of God’s holy chastisement and scourging (spanking) then we are
    illegitimate. If we do not chastise our children are we treating them any better?

Lastly you should do a word study on the word fear. You have some
    understandable (yet modern) reactions to the concept of provoking fear in
    your children that I urge to to reconsider. Here are just few verses that
    deal with good and righteous fear:

2Co 7:1
    Having therefore these promises, dearly beloved, let us cleanse ourselves from all filthiness of the flesh and spirit, perfecting holiness in the fear of God.
    Heb 12:28
    Wherefore we receiving a kingdom which cannot be moved, let us have grace, whereby we may serve God acceptably with reverence and godly fear:
    1 Peter 2:17
    Honour all men. Love the brotherhood. Fear God. Honour the king.
    Ps 2:11
    Serve the LORD with fear, and rejoice with trembling.
    Ps 5:7
    But as for me, I will come into thy house in the multitude of thy mercy: and in thy fear will I worship toward thy holy temple.
    Ps 19:9
    The fear of the LORD is clean, enduring for ever: the judgments of the LORD are true and righteous altogether.

And I will close with THE fear passage that most believers know: Proverbs 1:7

The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.

(incidentally the word for instruction in that verse is the same root as discipline or chastisment…that’s right, spanking:)

Righteous fear is a good thing when it’s toward godly authority. It is not “bad” in all cases. We are instructed to fear God, the civil magistrate and to the extent that godly parents bear the rod as THE means of divine judgement in their children’s lives, children should have a fear of disobedience and a fear of parental displeasure over sin.

Finally I want to say for your benefit and the benefit of everyone reading this, we don’t believe we have a corner on the truth, but the truth we do have comes directly from the Word of God so if you “think” or “feel” we are wrong that’s your right but if you can show me from Scripture….then we have something to talk about.

God Bless

12. Martin Bunch says:

I am not being militious in my posts, but wonder why parents don’t treat their own children with the same respect and love that the Lord commands. I have been praying about this and hope that the truth will be revealed in your lives and continue to be the guiding light for mine.

13. Martin, I took a look at your site and you seem like a lovely person. I wonder then, why that is not radiating in your posts. I know that dicipline is a very controversial issue, but I think we can all agree that most parents love their children and want to do what is best for them.

I pray that there can be understanding on this issue. I respect both you and Kim. (I hope I’m not overstepping bounderies here)

14. Martin Bunch says:

FYI- By the way a shepherd uses his “rod” to move his flock in the desired direction and does not beat his flock.

15. Martin Bunch says:

I’m sorry that responding to your posts has made you uncomfortable and does not fit into the box of what you think is appropriate. I only restated what you said and asked for clarification. And no I am not interested on learning how to hit my children. I am doing just fine with teaching my children boundaries, ethics, and values without putting fear into them to do so. It takes time and patience, not a quick slap, hit, or whatever you do to make them conform with fear of punishment.

16. I agree with what you’re saying…

My son does pretty well at avoiding destructive behavior

I am looking for a way to make naptime, family worship and church work better. . I’d like him to stay in one location, such as on a blanketduring these times. I also need to learn to put him down for a nap without him demanding to be held the whole time. He did well for awhile, but I’ve let him get away with too much.

I feel the need to learn these lessons before I have another child!

Thanks for your suggestions!

17. deanna,
    At this age, you could still use a blanket as a clear boundary when you want him to stay put (like nap time or quiet time) but by 2yo most children have the maturity to learn the rules of the house and generally avoid destructive or dangerous behavior.
    The point is to teach them to respect rules and boundaries. I don’t know about others but I would rather spend time training, working alongside and interacting with my children rather than “putting out fires” all day while they stay one step ahead of me.

18. I’m afraid I’m realizing my need to give my child firmer boundaries awfully late… he’s almost 2… Do you have any suggestions for blanket training at this late age? Or do I just need to get busy and tough it out?

19. Martin Bunch,
    There are many verses that support corporal discipline. Pr. 13:24 makes a good start:
    He who spares his rod hates his son, but he who loves him chastens him early.

If you have a genuine interest in discussing the Biblical position on this topic, I’ll be glad to do so, but you will need to keep your tone charitable and civil. So far it sounds like you just want to use false accusations and inflammatory terms to express your own emotional reaction to the subject.
    The spoons are a perfect example.

20. Martin Bunch says:

Yes, however “punishment” would be using a wooden spoon. Your picture implies the punishment aspect, and would instill fear of the baby moving too close to the edge of the blanket. I can’t imagine “punishing” a baby for learning and exploring their world. I think it is more of a control issue (for parents) than training/discipline for the baby’s behavior. Maybe having a large number of kids or as some others have sadi time to do ohter things and doesn’t allow the parents the time and energy to spend with their baby to teach and guide them in the right direction personally.

In your response…
    Then….WHEN you raise your baby, HOW is corporal punishment appropriate for them?

I have never thought or discusssed, or ever would, make a manual with my husband on how and when to intesify corporal punishment. Do you have an ages and stages guide to when you move forward with beating your children more?

Where is the verse you stand by, just wondering?

21. Personally I think it is sick to talk about “pain tolerance” in a baby. Then again I would never hit my child, ever. You child may look disciplined to an outsider but at what cost to the child?

22. martin bunch,
    Actually the spoons were tongue-in-cheek. Maybe I was too subtle, but if you’ll read the post again I think you will catch it.
    Regarding discipline for babies, discipline is not the same as punishment. Discipline comes in many forms and basically means “training.” Punishment is sometimes (but not necessarily) a part of discipline.
    I have never tanned a baby’s hide with a wooden spoon, and I haven’t suggested that others should do so either.
    However, the Bible makes it pretty clear that God does approve and even commands corporal punishment in the course of raising children.
    The questions are “how” and “when,” not “if.”

23. Martin Bunch says:

I think that everyone just needs to relax. I can’t imagine not letting my 9 month old explore his surroundings, by the way he has walked since 8 months old. I don’t think the blanket would have fostered his walking ability. One thing I am HORRIFIED with is that you placed a picture of wooden spoons on this post. Everyone reverts to “spoil the rod, spoil the child”, however I have never heard of a sheperd beating his flock into submission. I am intrugued by other things within your blog, but do no agree with your “discipline” of babies.

24. 5atkins,
    Yes, they always have books or toys on a blanket! That’s part of the trick to training – they quickly learn to test you by tossing the toy off of the blanket and then crawling away to get the toy. It’s a perfectly reasonable excuse to disobey, right?
    This presents another teachable moment early on: babies learn that the rules stay the same even when circumstances change.

25. mj,
    How we discipline a young child depends on the baby’s maturity and level of comprehension. There’s no set age, but a general guideline is if the baby comprehends that you don’t want them to do something and has the motor skills to do it on purpose, then it’s time to start enforcing boundaries and rules.
    How we do that will vary tremendously from one baby to the next based on a wide variety of factors, including age, general maturity, temperament, pain tolerance, etc. Some babies only need a gentle voice, while others hardly notice a sharp smack on the thigh. Most fall somewhere in between.
    You know your baby best. :)

26. Blanket training mama here, too :) I’ve visited your blog a few times before and always enjoy what you have to say. Great post!

27. Jessica Morris says:

I too have never heard of this, but I think it is brilliantly clever and will be using it with my baby to help set boundaries for him.
    Thanks so much for posting about it!

I have looked around your blog a bit and have greatly enjoyed my ‘visit’!

Do come visit me sometime, if you get the chance =)

28. Oldqueen44 says:

My first comment goes to L above. Actually the bottom is not a sexual part of the body. In fact the Bible is pretty clear that it is not meant for sexual purposes.

I have never heard of blanket training but personally think it is a great tool to keep your child safe and in your immediate care when the need arises. I’m sure with all the girls in your house your little guy has to fight for blanket time.
    Also, it is beyond comprehension how some would find keeping a child on a blanket damaging to their psyche. What is this world coming to?
    Thank you to all those who are training their children from an early age.

29. Hi!

Finally… these is someone else on this world who does this, and even more than one mom.

I started it with my oldest when he was about 8 months.

It was a happy summer.
    I didn’t want him to be in the full sun, so I put down a blanket on the grass and put him there, with toys

I didn’t realise the grass would act as a natural boundary.
    The texture was so completely different from the blanket that the baby didn’t even want to go there.

I never had to tell him to keep on it, so it became natural to stay on the blanket.

It went the same with the other children.

No bossy mom needed, never.

Oh…I’ve knitted so many beautiful things for them…

30. Mommy Reg says:

Very well said! I have blanket trained all of my kids. My first I trained when he was about one, it was harder than from birth but he knows his boundaries without having any walls to tell him. The others, from birth. I lay them on the floor on a blanket with some toys and that is their spot to play in. Now, my youngest is 7 months and crawling all over, but she knows if I stick her on the blanket, she must stay. At this point if she crawls off, I tell her no and put her back on. She knows too, just today she was testing the rule to see if I would make her stay. I told her no and she backed up and went to happily playing on her blanket. A little bit later I took her off her blanket so she could happily explore. It is just a matter of putting in the effort and training them.

31. Wow! We’ve never used this, but I certainly do not disagree with it. Like you said, it’s the method used to teach them. I love your “I prefer to use a cattle prod myself.” Isn’t it just what you would expect somebody to think, the way they act about it!!

32. Michelle Finsand-Peacock says:

Amen! I have 2 teenagers and was a totally different parent when they were little than I would be now. If my new husband and I are blessed with any children, we will definitely be implementing this–as well as time in their room each day when they’re older.

33. I had never heard of this, but I have trained my children to stay in one place to play. I trained them to play where ever I placed the basket of toys. Sometimes I did lay a blanket down and sometimes I didn’t. Do you give them toys or books while on the blanket? Just wondering.

I wanted to say I am so sorry for accusing your Boy of being a girl in my comments! I counted your cutie pies and didn’t even notice his handsome blue outfit! You were so gracious not to comment on my oversight!:) Really I am sorry! People were always calling my girls boys, even when they were dressed in pink!

Oh, I meant to tell you that the sweet lady who did my blog is no longer designing, but if you want to check out her site it is

Have a blessed Lord’s Day!
    In Him, Eva

34. a suburban housewife says:

Good for you, Kim! Teaching structure, order, and obedience at such a young age is important~

35. mj jones says:

I am curious at what age do you start this and what do you do if the baby coninues to leave the blanket. How do you disipline a child so young?

36. I actually think blanket training is intriguing and learned about it last year from Michelle Duggar at the film festival. I wrote it down and was going to implement it with Sofia, who was then 7 months old…..

Fast forward to today. Sofia is now almost 17 months, and she is my busiest baby yet! As I read your post, I was reminded of blanket training, and I do want to try it.

I think it is a wonderful idea, and I am excited to talk to my husband about it and get his approval on the matter.

You always handle potentially hot topics with such adroitness and I really appreciate that.

I can’t wait to read your post on corporal punishment!!! Why would anyone ever spank a child? One reason: The Bible commands us to.

That ought to be enough of a reason, huh?

Leanne in Longview WA

37. Dear Kim and commentors,

I just wanted to express my thankfulness and joy when reading the postings and comments. It is good to hear that “we are not alone”, for it is very easy to be tempted to believe that lie.

We use primarily a travel bed and/or playpen with the blanket in it. When baby is older, we enjoyed having the blanket out of the pen.

It is our observation that children thirve in the areas of curiosity and creativity when they understand and enjoy the playpen time. Not having access to everything in the house for a given period of time has *forced* my children to *imagine* what ever is missing and they feel they need. I also observe in later years (where no playpen is being used for obvious reasons) that my children are more creative in play than neighbourhood un-playpenned-children. They can compensate wonderfully for lack of plastic (or other manufactured) toys and create or imagine what is missing. It is a joy to observe.

And although I am constantly aware that my children have a looooong way to go to learn about obedience, they are still way ahead of the game when I see those above mentioned children.

Anyway, ladies, you encourage me to not go lax, to continue reaching, racing for the prize. So, a hearty “stay salty” to you all!

Andrea S. from Germany

38. I think blanket training is a fabulous idea. I haven’t done it, but that’s only because I have let my children run wild as heathens thus far and only recently have I learned that it’s okay that *I’m* the parent, and *they* are the children! That’s the way God designed it– what a concept!! We’ve made loads of progress and the children are so much happier when I am what some may consider “strict”. I wish I had trained them to sit still and obey sooner than I did. Keep up the good work!

39. boundaries do not hurt babies psyche, nor do they diminish the natural curiosity, actually they tend to help the baby’s development. babies like feeling safe by knowing the boundaries and what’s expected from them (anyone who thinks differently can google the attachment theory by John Bowlby and Mary Ainsworth). blanket training might just help them to stay safe without using a cage, like… let’s say… a playpen! as for training being reserved to animal’s… off course. everybody knows humans are not trained to use the toilet… come on, we are even trained to drive, it’s pure conditioning really! and as adults we do have to obey something called law… so what’s wrong with introducing rules and show a baby what to do? Nothing. Unless the parent loses his/hers control while trying to train the baby. But that’s not really the blanket training method’s fault is it? Maybe the lack of it…

40. Kids love structure and routines, so why wouldn’t they love the structure of knowing that their blanket is their safe patch, and they can do anything they like on it?

And I couldn’t agree more with Marci’s comment – self-centred kids start from this young, if they are not guided into other ways.

41. Happy Momma says:

Well said Kim and Marci :). Personally I have never heard of BT either but it is something I am going to try for sure with baby..I never used the play pen with my first I found it a pain to set up and take down, large, bulky and never convinent, but a blanket you always have!

I read the comments from the last post you made…I do find it funny how people find training them with a blanket is harmful to the childs psychie…heaven forbide we teach our child boundaries. Within the confines of boundaries children learn respect of others, themselves, as well as authority, or maybe they will even learn to grow in the Lord. These things could be detrimental to a child’s health after all. :) Instead let us send them to mass schools and let them be corralled thru the hallways like cattle, let them not learn because their teacher is out-numbered 35 to 1 and she is too busy dealing with the undisciplined child, and let’s prohibit them from freely expressing themselves!

42. Myfriendconnie says:

You probably don’t let your kids play in the street either. Bully!

:0)

43. Good post! We are on our 7th round of blanket training. It has been wonderful for our family. I have also found that it helps with training little ones to sit during the church service. My children have loved blanket time. It not only teaches them to obey their mama, but it also gives them clear definitions of *their* space. When they are on a blanket, they do not need to share their toys, books, etc. as the 2 yr. old is not allowed on the 1 yr. old’s blanket. We use blanket time for our 1, 2, 3, and 4 yr. olds. Sometimes I think my 9 yr. old wouldn’t mind having it again!

44. I read that the family that just had 17 kids (Duggars I think?)- use it. I don’t agree with it at all. The human bottom (or tush) is a sexual part of the body. I don’t that it is right to strike it.

45. Tully Family says:

Kim,

Well said! We haven’t been good about teaching our 17 month old blanket training (unlike what we did with our others) but that will be changing Monday! Hubby has requested our boy learn! I enjoy your post!

- Heather

46. I am HORRIFIED that you would try and make a child obey!!! Why are you not raising another selfish uncontrolled child to set loose on this world??

Actually, I never heard of blanket training, but I think it is a great idea!!