You don’t want to know…

You don’t want to know what is loose in my house. After nearly a year of domestication and good hearty eating, shedding her skin twice because she has grown so much, she escaped. Saturday. She is highly sedentary, and she has an expected lifespan of up to 30 years. She could turn up tonight or twelve years from now. Needless to say, we have sent the search parties all over the house, but there are just too many places to hide something the size of a largish tarantula, particularly a tarantula of the burrowing type.
I’m going to have to shake out everything before I use it: shoes, pillowcases, blankets and comforters, skirts, bath towels, couch cushions…or I could just forget about it and risk being surprised once. Just once. What would you do?

Comments

1. SingForHim aka One Mom says:

I agree with qtpies7! Get the professionals! Are they poisonous?

2. Lisa,
    Thanks for reminding me about that book! I’ve heard of it but never read it. I just requested it from PaperBack Swap!

Thanks also for the tips on finding Shelob. I emailed a copy of your comment to my daughter so she would have it for reference.

We just moved the furniture around in the room in which she escaped and the adjoining bedroom, and still no sign of her. We will be switching all the furniture in all 3 of our bedrooms next week, so if she’s still in the house she may shake turn up then. If we don’t find her, I’m going to assume she found a way outside and do my very best not to think of the alternatives.

3. michael.pickering says:

The book The Tarantula in My Purse by Elizabeth Craighead George is full of funny stories about her families’ adopting of a variety of wild pets over the years. Lisa

4. aussietigger1980 says:

i’m here from crystal’s…

what would i do? never have a tarantula in the first place!!!!!!!! aaaggh. πŸ™‚

5. michael.pickering says:

Sorry, one more thing. If your daughter is really attached to her tarantula shaking out linens is a very bad idea. Burrowers can be killed very very easily with a hard fall. Arboreal tarantulas are built for drops but not burrowers.Lisa

6. michael.pickering says:

Hello! Just found your site from Crystal Paine’s blog.
    I feel for you. I have always hated spiders, but when they became my son’s favorite creatures I bit the bullet and let him acquire quite a menagerie of tarantulas, true spiders, scorpions, centipedes and lately slime molds!. I did make him destroy his Black Widows though, although for some reason they are the ones I am the least afraid of. To date we have upwards of 40+ tarantulas housed upstairs. He regularly takes them to church to show the kids. The kids and SOME of the adults think they are pretty neat! And many are remarkably colorful.
    And yes, one day, I too heard those words that sent a shiver down my spine β€œUm, Mom, one of my tarantulas is missing.” Our house was under contract and all I could picture was signing the papers at closing and remarking calmly to the new owners β€œOh, by the way, there is a tarantula loose in the house somewhere, but don’t worry they are relatively harmless!” Some advice from my son: He said she will need to look for water eventually so putting out a water dish in the room you lost it in and then try to keep the room dark and undisturbed as much as possible and then keep checking the dish. And since it is a burrower it will most likely be found on the ground. So, if it was lost in a room with few exits look carefully underneath everywhere with a flashlight. Arachnoboards.com is a very informational site for those with an interest in arachnids. Though not a Christian site.
    And while tarantulas are not so poisonous to humans I heard they can be poisonous to dogs and cats. I don’t know if you have a cat or dog who might try to β€œplay” with the lost tarantula if they find it.

Did you all attend the Arachnocon 2007 in San Antonio in July?
    Lisa

7. *shudder* eww!

*shudder’s again*

8. I have given you an award if you wish to claim it! Go to http://blog.athomewithkris.com/?p=830

Thanks!

9. A friend of mine growing up had a snake that got loose when it was 12 inches long. The good news was they had no mice in their house for 3 years. The bad news was that her sister was doing dishes one day, stepped away for a minute and returned to find a 3+ foot long constrictor in the dishwater!

Sweet Dreams!

10. Call an exterminator! Thats all I gotta say.

11. Anneatheart says:

This is why I will never allow any pet of that type to enter my home. No spiders, snakes or anything of that nature.

12. Laughing my socks off here. I thought it was really cool when you found her, but I’m wierd like that. Actually, it was right after I started reading your blog, you’re not going to lose your son soon, are you?

Perhaps you could train her to eat Daddy Longlegs…

13. I’ve always thought people who had spiders and snakes as pets were crazy. This just confirms that for me. πŸ˜›

14. I suggest going back in time and never never bringing home a tarantula! But this is why my kids don’t call me a “fun” mom!

15. I ddn’t read all the comments yet — But ME — I would MOVE. Yup – Done, new house please. Thanks!

πŸ˜‰

16. *shiver*

*shiver*

*shiver*

My first thought was MOVE, but then you’d have a mighty good chance of moving her with you.

*shiver*

Um. Keep on searching. I would cancel school until the critter is found…

Yep. Must. Find. Spider.

17. Luv2bhsmama says:

I would MOVE!!!!!! Sorry but I could not handle any spider knowingly in my house especially that big. I hope you find her.

18. Tully Family says:

God’s timing is amazing… I read your blog last night & then this morning discovered that my daughter had to read & re-write a paragraph about tarantuls today! πŸ™‚ After she had finished, I showed her your blog. My boys (ages 3 & 5) say they would search for it and kill it. My daughter (age 7) says you should NOT rest till you find it. πŸ™‚ As I type this, my 3 year old just brought some of his toys to me to show me that they do not have a tarantula in them. So cute! Somehow I think I’ll be hearing about this for a long time!
    – Heather

19. I’d move. But that’s probably not very suitable for a family of 10 people… keep the search parties, start in the bedrooms and work your way into the kitchen, she might go there to escape the noise and will be more easily found there?

20. Oh, you will also have to refrain from “blindly” reaching around the corner to flip the light switches before entering a room!

BOOOO-HOOOO-HAAAA-HAAAA

Bet you guys never even consider “celebrating” Hallowe’en… not a need to in the world! Creepy-crawly’s all year round at Kim’s place!

Andrea from Germany

21. uhm, typically I would scream really loud if it was something like a mouse or even a bee or something but I seem to be speechless about spiders.. Happended once in Okinawa when I fist sized tarantula looking spider came crawling across the wall at church.. Maybe God shut my mouth..

22. Tully Family says:

Okay- I have the creeps! I hope I can sleep tonight- I hope YOU can sleep tonight!!! Yuck, yuck, yuck. I think I would tell my hubby it was time to MOVE- NOW!!!
    – Heather

23. BUG SPRAY!!!!!!!! Oh my, I would not be a happy camper. Maybe a really large reward to the person who brings you its dead body!!!!

24. You.are.kidding.me….

Please don’t be offended if we graciously decline any invitations to your house in the near future…. πŸ˜‰

25. HomemakerAng says:

I warned you about this! I think… to nice of a mother to let them keep it! just too nice!

26. Oh, my! Now that IS nerve wracking! We find the occasional gecko in our house (which can be especially disturbing when you find them sitting on your bathroom light switch in the middle of the night!), but I cannot imagine having to worry about a tarantula!

27. Hercules Mulligan says:

😐

What would I do? MOVE TO A STATE WHERE TARANTULAS SHRIVEL TO THE SIZE OF A WOLF SPIDER, at BIGGEST.

Kinda expensive though. And I would not like to leave a house I built myself with my family. Maybe I would suggest asking “hubby” for a BB gun.

Hope you (no, your kid who doesn’t mind hairy crawlies) find it on an obvious wall in broad daylight. :S

28. This is the very reason why my mother would not allow mice or rats or even hamsters as pets….too funny.

29. The Homeschool and Etc. Blog says:

Ever see Lord of the Rings?? *She* is loose… LOL!

Um, what would I do? Could you sell the house really quick and laugh at the unsuspecting buyers?? I know that “tarantulas loose in the house” and “daddy long-legs everywhere” is not on the Realtor ™ disclosure form LOL!!

Mrs. C.

30. Mrs Mecomber says:

OH MY GOODNESS!!!! How could this have happened?!??!

Your life is never, ever, ever dull, is it??? LOL!!!!! And I thought things were crazy in my house!!!

Hope you find her soon. Out in the open. In the daylight.

31. I would move away…NOW…and not pack one single item to take with me for fear I’d run across that nasty creature! Sorry – I know it’s a family pet and all – but EEEEWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!

My son just got a rat for a pet a few weeks ago and though some are grossed out by her – we think she’s pretty cute and very sweet! So, I guess it’s all a matter of opinion. πŸ™‚

Hope you find her! Just so she doesn’t escape your house and somehow make it to our house! πŸ˜‰

32. Shake shake shake.
    You have enough surprises in your life just being a Mom.

And, thanks to the Daddy Longlegs talk, my dreams were FILLED with swarms of spiders on Saturday night. I was all itchy when I woke up.