We are careful about what we watch, and often have a hard time finding something suitable to rent. I also have to say I feel vaguely guilty just standing in B’Buster looking at what’s available. I’ve come out of the store feeling like I need to bleach my eyeballs!
I think online rentals help a lot with both issues. I have to warn you: Netflix does have a category you’ll want to steer clear of entirely. Ugh. But on the bright side, you’re not accosted with the sight of the covers of all those videos while you search for safe, clean choices.
- Over 100,000 titles on DVD – from classics to new releases to TV episodes. OK, the banner says 65,000 but the website says 100,000. You wanna count and get back to me on that?
- Instant downloads - choose from over 12,000 movies (some new releases) & TV episodes (including current season) online on your PC or Mac or on your TV via an Internet connected Netflix ready device. This is our favorite part!
- No late fees – keep DVDs as long as you want
- Free shipping – there is no cost except your monthly membership
- Fast turn around – You can set up a list of what you want so that your next DVD is shipped as soon as your first one is received, and distribution centers throughout the country mean that there’s one near you. If the first one on your list isn’t available, they’ll automatically move down the list so you’re not stuck waiting.
- Various plans – several choices to fit your budget and needs.
- Personalized recommendations – based on movies that you enjoyed in the past. We have found that it’s pretty “smart.” Many of our favorites show up on the list.
- Free trial – enjoy full benefits for 2 weeks to see if Netflix is right for you.
Their website is very easy to use, making it very easy to get the movies you want, either on DVD or as instant downloads. There are several plans available starting at $4.99, but we think the $8.99/month is the best deal for our family: 1 DVD out at a time (4-5/month if we watch and return them promptly, but we don’t), plus unlimited downloads.
So how does this save money? $8.99/month is about the cost of 2 rentals from B’Buster, or less than the cost of one rental and a trip to town to return it. If you rent from RedBox occasionally like we used to, you know that one or two movies can easily add up if you forget to take them back right away – or if you have make a special trip to return them, because they’re racking up daily charges.
Oh, and did I mention the affiliate program? Sign up for a free trial, and we get $. That’s another thing I like about Netflix. Very cool.