People keep saying this summer is a scorcher, but when I step outside I don’t notice a big difference.
Maybe that’s because we’re living without air conditioning in South Texas, where it has been 100 degrees nearly every day. We are doing this because it is saving us roughly $200/month. Honestly, it’s not as bad as it sounds. The human body is an amazing creation, and we have acclimated rather well, I think. We have also learned some new tricks, or at least improved upon our old tricks.
I think it should be obvious that one lifestyle choice – living without a/c – begets other lifestyle choices. We don’t cook in the house.
We do use the toaster and the microwave in the house, and we even boil water for the French press, but that’s all. Instead of heating up the house, we cook outside. Believe me, the house is hot enough already!
- Instead of the oven, we use the roaster.
- Instead of pots on the stovetop, we use the crockpot.
- Instead of the griddle on the stovetop, we use our snazzy new enormous electric griddle, purchased with Amazon gift cards earned from Swagbucks. Can you see me smiling? That baby has room for 12 pancakes, 12 slices of french toast, or 12 grilled cheese sandwiches! Tonight, we had pork loin, sliced and breaded and fried. mmmm. 8 lbs. of tender, juicy spicy pig was done to perfection in a flash, thanks to Deanna. She cooked on the deck, and we ate on the deck.
- Instead of cooking hot food, we can now make smoothies in our new blender, also courtesy of Swagbucks.
- Or we enjoy sandwiches, salads, veggie trays, and fresh fruit. I think we’re averaging 5-6 large watermelons/week. No, I’m not kidding.
How are you staying cool this summer?by