If you love Starbucks but can’t afford the habit, try my addiction instead. We’ve been sipping homemade cold coffee that tastes like the Starbucks-in-a-bottle for years, but now we’re taking it to a new level.
With our new blender (courtesy of Swagbucks), we are now serving them frozen. There are some definite perks to forgoing the a/c in South Texas. I have the perfect excuse to sip these treats all day long!
Each of my daughters seems to find her own area of expertise in the kitchen, and 11yo Megan has become our blender-meister. Here is the recipe she has developed for fraps.
makes 2 grande (16 oz each)
- 3 cups ice
- 1 1/2 Tbs. instant coffee – I use decaf. A good national brand tastes best, but even the cheap stuff will make you regret you ever paid $4 for a frap.
- 3 Tbs. granulated sugar
- 2 cups milk
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1/4 cup heavy cream – Not strictly necessary, but makes it even yummier. Try this at your own risk.
Blend til smooth and enjoy. Drink with a straw. Remember to share, because this was 2 large servings.
- Mocha: add 2 Tbs. of unsweetened cocoa powder.
- Java Chip: blend in chocolate chips
- Caramel Macchiato: replace the sugar with a 1/3 cup of caramel sauce.
- Get really fancy and top it with real whipped cream.
- Try drinking it all yourself.