We’re back, and this week we’re crafty. Er – crafting. We’re making crafts. That reminds me of a button I saw once. It said, “I’m so crafty I make people.” Perfect for the mom of many, don’t you think?
But that’s not the sort of craft we’re talking about this week. To the best of my knowledge, not one of the 4 Moms is currently expecting, which is saying a lot since we nearly always are. I once called my sister and told her I had an announcement: I wasn’t pregnant. It’s not often I can make an announcement like that.
If you think I’m taking a while to get down to business, that’s because I’m stalling. While we did build our own house, we’re not much for the smaller crafts.
That’s not to say we never do crafts. The older girls still remember when they were little and we built the Eiffel Tower out of marshmallows. There’s more, much more. I feel sure of it, but 7 of the children are with their dad today, and consequently I’m missing 70% of my brain cells. The remaining 30% are all 6 years old and under, if you catch my drift.
OK. I said that we’re making crafts, but I’m really just making plans for crafts this week. Here are some of the crafts we’ve done in the past and enjoyed – not to be confused with the ones that made some people cry and others swear never again.
- Blue jean purses – We didn’t use a pattern for these, but they were easy and darling! Choose jeans with cute embellishments or add your own. You can use the bottom of the leg for a small purse, or cut the legs off and use the torso for a bigger one. Either way, stitch the bottom shut. For a finished look on the bottom, turn it inside out and stitch shut. For a fringed look, stitch on the outside about 1/2″ from the edge. Hem the top edge and attach a strap of fabric, ribbon, or use a closely trimmed seam from the jeans you just hacked up.
- Pillow cases – Almost too easy to give instructions and endlessly customizable. One yard of fabric is plenty, and lets you turn under the edge at the opening 6-8 inches for a neat, finished look. Choose something fun & frivolous, strikingly beautiful, or you can applique/embellish plainer fabric.
- Personalized pillows – We did these last year for several little cousins. We chose fabric suited for each child, cut out a front and back for each pillow in fun shapes, appliqued the recipient’s name to the front in coordinating fabric, then stitched together and filled.
- Christmas stockings – These are assembled from 17 crocheted granny squares, patterned after the stocking my husband’s grandfather made for him long, long ago. I can’t post instructions for these because I have no idea how to make them. I like to do it the hard way and reinvent the wheel every time. That’s part of the fun, you know. I’ve managed to create one for each child over the past 17 years and need to make another this year sometimes in the next 8 weeks.
Some new crafts I’d like to try this year:
That was a short list. I obviously need your help. What will you and/or your children be crafting this year? Tell us in the comments or link up here and your link will show on all 4 Moms’ blogs!
Please remember the rules to avoid having your link deleted:
- Your link must point to an individual post about crafts.
- Your post must link back to at least one of the 4 Moms.
Upcoming topics for November:
- 11- Family traditions
- 18- Thanksgiving plans (linky)
- 25- Thanksgiving Day celebration – watch for something fun and unique!