I’ll see you over there, Dad

That’s what I said to Dad as they were preparing to transfer him from the local emergency room to a farther, better equipped hospital on Wednesday evening.  As I whispered the words to him, they felt ominous.  It occurred to me that those could easily be my last words to him, and I had no idea if he was even aware of us around him.  It also occurred to me that if those were my last words to him and I didn’t see him at the other hospital, the words would still be true.

As it turns out, he did live a few hours longer though he never fully regained consciousness.  I strongly suspect that he was at least dimly aware of his surroundings and our presence.  He didn’t respond to commands, but he usually stirred when we stood near him and held his hand.

My dad passed out of pain and into glory just after midnight, March 24 at the age of 58.  He slipped away quietly with Mom by his side and 11 of his 14 children either in the room or just down the hall.

We gathered ’round with a song and a prayer, said our goodbyes as a group and then privately, and went home to begin making plans.

Come, Thou Fount of every blessing,
Tune my heart to sing Thy grace;
Streams of mercy, never ceasing,
Call for songs of loudest praise.
Teach me some melodious sonnet,
Sung by flaming tongues above.
Praise the mount! I’m fixed upon it,
Mount of Thy redeeming love.

Here I raise my Ebenezer;
Here by Thy great help I’ve come;
And I hope, by Thy good pleasure,
Safely to arrive at home.
Jesus sought me when a stranger,
Wandering from the fold of God;
He, to rescue me from danger,
Interposed His precious blood;

O to grace how great a debtor
Daily I’m constrained to be!
Let Thy goodness, like a fetter,
Bind my wandering heart to Thee.
Prone to wander, Lord, I feel it,
Prone to leave the God I love;
Here’s my heart, O take and seal it,
Seal it for Thy courts above.

Comments

1. I am so sorry for your loss. Big hugs and much love to you and yours during this time.

2. God Bless you all!

3. Thinking of you.

4. Bekah Huet says:

I’m so sorry for the grief you’re feeling, Kim! What beautiful last words to speak to your daddy!

5. Oh, sweet Kim! So sorry to hear about your earthly loss, but rejoicing with you in the truth of your last words to him!

6. 1Co 15:55 O death, where is thy sting? O grave, where is thy victory?

1Co 15:57 But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ.

7. Kim, we will be praying for your whole family during this time. May God surround your family with peace.
    The Lukes

8. so orry for you and our family I hope you find comfort inthe Lord

9. Cindy in GA says:

I am so sorry, Kim. Hugs. I’ll be praying for you all.

10. I am so sorry for your loss. I hope that family, friends and faith bring comfort to you all in these raw days.

11. Kim, many many prayers for you and your family, especially your mom. Rejoicing too that your dad is at home and at peace.

12. I am so sorry to hear of your loss. I will be praying for you and your family. My father died at the age of 59 and it does seem too soon, but the joy of knowing that he is with the Father , to be able to grieve with hope is the greatest blessing we can have during times like these.

God bless you all.

13. Memory eternal! I’m so sorry for your loss.

Grace and peace to you in the difficult days ahead.

14. My sincere condolences on your family’s loss. The pictures of him are a lovely tribute. May you all be blessed with comfort in this difficult time and take solace in His word. May God be with you, now and always.

Mindy

15. big hugz mama :o(

16. I’m sorry for your loss. Praise God that you WILL see him over there! That’s a joy. It’s good you are so supported by Him and your husband which will enable you to comfort your mother. I’ll be thinking of you.

17. I’m so sorry for your loss. I’m sure this is a very difficult time for your family, even with the knowledge that you’ll see him again.

18. I’m sorry. I will be praying for you all.

19. shelley p says:

Dear Kim,

what can I say, I am so sorry for you all, praying for you is all I can do .

shelley p
    from over the pond

20. Oh Kim I’m so sorry. I lost my dad 3 years ago when he was 55 and I was 24. It is horrible. Sending love.

21. I’m so sorry for your loss! *HUGS* I could say so much but it wouldn’t help. I am losing my mom and have lost all my grandparents. You will see him “over there” someday but you will miss him long and hard before then, and for this my heart breaks for you.

22. So sorry for your loss. Praise God for the comfort of knowing where he is.

23. I’m so sorry 🙁 Prayers for you and all your family!

24. Oh Kim (((((((((((((((((((((HUGS))))))))))))

I am truly sorry to hear about your Dad. I was 25 when my Dad 53yo died of a massive heart attack!! I would of loved to had been able to whisper something into his ears!!! Yes, we will see our Fathers on the other side! What a comfort salvation brings us in these times of hardship.

Praying for your family.
    Letisha

25. Kim,

Our prayers are with you and your family as the Lord carries you through this time of grief and loss.

26. Oh Kim I am so very very sorry!!!

27. Kim, I’m so sorry for your loss. Our prayers are with your family.

28. Praying for your family during this time of loss.

29. I’m so sorry for your loss, Kim.

30. My condolences. So sorry.

31. Dear Kim,

We have been praying since your last post and will continue. I am so sorry for your loss, but am thrilled that you have assurance of his salvation and presence in heaven even now. I will be praying for peace and comfort for you and all your family in the difficult days ahead. If I remember correctly, your youngest siblings are still living at home? I will be in special prayer for them.

Elizabeth

32. So sorry to hear of your loss. May G-d bless you and keep you….

33. I’m so sorry. I pray the Lord will comfort you all.

34. Thinking of you, sweet woman, and all of your family. I am struck so profoundly by your words and how they are still true….thank goodness for a merciful God and His plan for post-mortality…love to you all.

35. Jody from Az says:

(((((Kim and family)))))) I am very sorry for your loss. I am very thankful that you all will have a sweet reunion “over there.” I am praying that the Lord will hold you all in His arms and comfort you at this time.

36. Last Saturday evening we had the pleasure to hear Mr. Don Piper speak. It was our 2nd time to hear his wonderful story. In case you do not know who he is, he wrote the best selling book Ninety Minutes in Heaven.
    I am sorry your father is gone, way too young. He is younger than me. I am sorry your children will not have the joy of having him as their grandfather any more. But after listening to Pastor Don Piper speak, I know your dad is in Glory. I am sorry you and the others will miss him so. Please know I am praying for you.

37. Tiffany Rogers says:

So sorry to hear the news, Kim. Praying for you and your family.

38. My prayers are with you and your family as you go through this time of separation. Peace and comfort from our Lord.

39. Oh, Kim, I’m so sorry! Praying for our dear Father’s comfort for you, for your dear mother, for all of you. –Suzanne

40. Kim, I am so sorry. I am sending big hugs your way and will lift your family up in prayer. Losing a parent is one of the hardest things.

41. Oh, dear. I hate to hear that he had to leave you all so soon. I know it hurts to lose someone you have loved for a very long time. My own daddy was killed in an accident.

42. Lisa Beth W. says:

Oh, Kim, I’m so sorry for your loss! I lost my own dad when he was sixty, and I still miss him a lot. Thanks be to God that your dad (and mine!) loved Jesus! May the Lord grant you and your mom and all your family much comfort and strength.

43. So sorry for your loss. I, too, lost my dad 10 years ago. He was 53 and passed suddenly from a ruptured AVM in his brain. I miss him still every day. Even though we know we’ll see them again, on the other side, the loss of their presence here still hurts. How thankful I am for Jesus’s saving work on the cross to make that possible!