I’ll see you over there, Dad

That’s what I said to Dad as they were preparing to transfer him from the local emergency room to a farther, better equipped hospital on Wednesday evening.  As I whispered the words to him, they felt ominous.  It occurred to me that those could easily be my last words to him, and I had no idea if he was even aware of us around him.  It also occurred to me that if those were my last words to him and I didn’t see him at the other hospital, the words would still be true.

As it turns out, he did live a few hours longer though he never fully regained consciousness.  I strongly suspect that he was at least dimly aware of his surroundings and our presence.  He didn’t respond to commands, but he usually stirred when we stood near him and held his hand.

My dad passed out of pain and into glory just after midnight, March 24 at the age of 58.  He slipped away quietly with Mom by his side and 11 of his 14 children either in the room or just down the hall.

We gathered ’round with a song and a prayer, said our goodbyes as a group and then privately, and went home to begin making plans.

Come, Thou Fount of every blessing,
Tune my heart to sing Thy grace;
Streams of mercy, never ceasing,
Call for songs of loudest praise.
Teach me some melodious sonnet,
Sung by flaming tongues above.
Praise the mount! I’m fixed upon it,
Mount of Thy redeeming love.

Here I raise my Ebenezer;
Here by Thy great help I’ve come;
And I hope, by Thy good pleasure,
Safely to arrive at home.
Jesus sought me when a stranger,
Wandering from the fold of God;
He, to rescue me from danger,
Interposed His precious blood;

O to grace how great a debtor
Daily I’m constrained to be!
Let Thy goodness, like a fetter,
Bind my wandering heart to Thee.
Prone to wander, Lord, I feel it,
Prone to leave the God I love;
Here’s my heart, O take and seal it,
Seal it for Thy courts above.

Comments

1. He is now rejoicing and praising and honouring our heveanly Father in a way we can only imagine. Sorry for your loss.

2. Fifty-eight is…the age my husband will be next month. And we’re expecting #11 in November. And I do, sometimes, think about raising these little olive shoots without him. How old is your youngest sibling? How is your mom doing? I will pray God’s grace on her–and on each of your families.

3. Roxy Coghlan says:

I’m so sorry for your loss Kim. Been thinking of you and your whole family.

4. Your family is in my prayers!! God grant you His peace that passeth understanding!! So so sorry for your loss!

5. Kathy Sweo says:

I was so sorry to hear of the loss of your father. 58 is too young to leave. I will keep you all in my prayers. Thank you for posting the pictures. –a nice tribute to a devoted father & family man.
    ~Kathy Sweo (Jamey Bennett’s Mom)

6. Kris Mays says:

((((((Hugs)))))) from our family to yours, Kim. He is pain free -thank you Jesus.

7. Oh Kim…..

I haven’t checked in in a bit….

I was so hoping, as I skimmed this post, that it just wasn’t true.

I’m deeply sorry. I know how much you love your family.

I wonder if your daddy is even now holding my little babies!

Praise God for sacrificing His very own Son for the promise of Heaven for us!!

My family will be praying for you.

8. I am so sorry, Kim… God bless you and your family during this time. I’m so glad that you can have hope in the face of this loss and that you were able to be with him.

9. Kim,
    I’m sorry seems like such a small thing to say for such a big loss to your family—I understand the pain of loss and feel for you, for your mom, and for all your family—it’s never easy to lose someone you love.
    I am thankful that you all have the peace of knowing you will indeed see your dad again–over there.
    May YHVH bring comfort to you all in the coming days. I pray that you all experience the peace that passes understanding.

10. I am so sorry for your loss

11. I’m so sorry for your loss. I’ll pray for peace as you grieve. God Bless.

12. Kim, I’ve been praying for your family and I am so sorry for your loss.

13. praying for you now

14. I am sorry for your loss. Hugs and a prayer.

15. I am so sorry Kim! He was so young, and now in the presence of the Lord!

I will pray for comfort for you all, especially your mother and the children still at home.

16. My heart goes out to you. Will pray for comfort for you and your famiily.

17. Margaret says:

I’m so sorry. That is a hard loss. 🙁

18. Heather Wawa says:

I know you’ll miss him, Kim. I am so sad for you as you mourn his passing into Glory. I will be praying for you.

19. I have enjoyed your blog and your perspective on life. Through you and other people my husband and I are prayerfully discussing birth control issues. All this to say that I feel that you are a friend! We will be praying for you and your whole family.

20. I will be praying for your family. I’m sorry for your loss.

21. Cal and Barbara Shaw says:

Dear Kimmy and family, As you can imagine our hearts are heavy because of the loss to your family and to our extended families, but our heart also soars that he has been relieved of his earthly suffering and he is now rejoicing “over there.” He has touched so many during his lifetime and has left the wonderful legacy of an amazingly beautiful family—he was so proud of each of you and loved you all so very much. We shall all miss him. When some one dies an untimely death I always think that God needed them more than we do. We love each of you as well. Our thoughts and prayers are with you as you prepare to celebrate his great life here on earth. Aunt Barb and Uncle Cal

22. Oh my! I am so sorry for your loss! it ‘s got to be very hard and i too will be praying for you and your family. You will indeed see him again someday and I hope that will comfort you some but our poor human hearts have a hard time with waiting and you will surely need the love that you feel here and in real life. (((Hugs)))
    melissa

23. I am so very sorry for your loss. May God bring you comfort and laughter of cherished memories in these coming days.

Lisa

24. Kim,
    I was so sorry to hear of your dad’s passing….my dearest mom just passed away suddenly and not much older than your dad. I know the pain and sorrow is so great. Jesus alone can comfort you in your darkest hour. May He meet your every need and help you as you grieve with your mom, your siblings, and your children.

25. I’m so sorry for your and your family’s loss, Kim.

(((Hugs)))

Looking at these photos made me cry-I love the one with you, and your mom and your dad-where he’s holding you.

Sincerely,

Holly C.

26. Oh Kim! I’m so sorry and he was so young!! Thanks be to God, he did more to leave a legacy than most men who live to 90. I’ll keep you and your family in my prayers.

27. I’m sorry for your loss and you and your family are in my thoughts.

28. Kim,

Sorry for your family’s loss, but happy for your father’s gain. So glad that he was able to have so many of his children by his side.

Praying for God’s comfort for you and your family.

In Him

Meredith

29. I’m very sorry for your family’s loss. My sincere condolences.

Sincerely,
    Laura

30. Kim, so sorry to hear this, I lost my dad almost two years ago (two weeks till the anniversary) and even just last night I shed a tear at how much I still miss him. Will definitely be thinking of you and your family at this time.

Your friend in Australia,
    Mrs W

31. Dear Kim~

My prayers are with you and your family as you walk through this difficult time. I praise God that you can know that your words would be true even so. May you feel His gentle and comforting hand!

Lots of love,
    Sommer

32. Praying for your family!

33. I am so sorry to hear of your loss Kim. Much love and regards to you and your family.

34. oh Kim i am so sorry. I hope you can feel my arms hugging you tight.

35. Kim, I am so sorry for your loss. Please know that my prayers are with you and your family during this very difficult time.

36. Jeri Riddick says:

I hate this for your family. 58 is too young but the pain has ended for him. Praying for you all.

37. i’m so sorry, Kim. prayers are with you.

38. Oh Kim, I am so sorry. Y’all will be in our prayers.
    ((((((((((((((((HUGS)))))))))))))))))))))

39. I’m so sorry, Kim. I will be praying for your family. I lost my dad 21 years ago, and I still miss him. You are truly blessed to know that you’ll see your dad on the other side, over there.
    With prayers and sympathy,
    Wendy Gunn

40. I am so sorry to hear of your family’s great loss, Kim.

41. I’m so sorry, Kim.

42. I am so sorry for your loss.

43. I am so sorry for your great loss. May memories keep your heart warm in these days of grief.

What a comfort to know that you will, indeed, see him “over there”. Blessed be the name of the LORD.

44. I’m so sorry for your loss. May God’s peace and comfort be with your whole family. We will be praying for you all.

45. Oh, Kimberly. I saw this on FB and hoped it wasn’t what it is. I’m truly sorry for your loss, but so glad that you will see him “over there”. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

46. Kim, I’m so sorry for your loss!! I pray that you are able to grieve in the way and with the time that you need and that you and your family are comforted by God and pulled tight into His loving spiritual embrace during this time.

47. Oh Kim.
    I’m so very sorry.
    My prayers are with you and your family. 58 is much too young to go.
    (hugs)

48. I am so so very sorry for the loss in your family. I pray that the God of comfort, does just that for you and your family.

49. So sorry for your pain and loss.

50. *hugs*