It’s been 2 weeks since I decided to lose some stubborn baby weight, and guess what? The scale says I’ve lost 9 lbs. I’m stunned. I would question the honesty of the scale but it’s saying very realistic things to everyone else in the family.
Furthermore, my shorts reveal the truth. I have a pair of navy blue shorts that I have owned and worn for years. I wore them to a friend’s house on the 4th of July and by the end of the first hour, had to unbutton them. If I were home I would have changed. Since I wasn’t home, I had plenty of time to think over why I had to spend the day with my shorts unbuttoned. That was the day I decided to lose some weight.
I’m wearing those shorts now, and they fit the way they did when I bought them. Ahhh.
I have a few thoughts:
- My weight tends to fluctuate about 3 lbs. day by day – at least it did before I cut back my eating 2 weeks ago – and I started at a high point. That means the first 3 lbs. didn’t really count. Not all of them. I knew that already.
- The heat helps. It’s a great appetite suppressant.
- I really have ramped up my activity level. I’m not doing aerobics, but I’m doing a LOT of isometrics and some very purposeful puttering. That should count for something, shouldn’t it?
- I feel good. I feel lighter on my feet already, and I walk with a spring in my step that I didn’t have 2 weeks ago.
- I bought a size 2 denim skirt at the thrift store last week, and it’s my new favorite. That’s not to say I am a size 2. I’ve never worn a size 2 before and I still don’t, and the skirt is obviously sized incorrectly. Nevertheless, it’s my new favorite and probably wouldn’t have fit 2 weeks ago. I like to say I lost 6 sizes in 2 weeks. :)
I have probably cut back too much. I’m not going hungry – I’m eating when I get hungry just like I planned and I feel great – but when I think about the amount of food I eat over the course of most days, I know it’s probably not enough to stay healthy. It’s fun to approach my goal this quickly, but I’m going to have to learn what it takes to maintain a healthy weight. That means eating more without going back to my old eating habits. That could be tricky.
But first, I want to continue with the weight loss. I initially said my goal was 10 lbs, then 15. Well, after nearly 10 lbs. I feel better but I certainly don’t feel done. I still have plenty of padding, and since it went so quickly I would love to lose another 10, making a total of 20. That may sound like a lot to some, but on my frame it isn’t. I don’t think most people can even tell that I’ve lost weight at all, so another 10 would only make me appear marginally slimmer and get rid of a little more excess padding. It would put me under my wedding weight but still with considerably less muscle, which means more fat and more inches. I’m not expecting to ever see my pre-wedding waistline again, but I wouldn’t mind getting the hips down to their old size.
Since things are going so well, I’m not going to work on cutting back any more. I just want to continue toning and increase my activity level a little more. I totally forgot about the kettle bell all week and I love using it, so there’s my goal for the upcoming week: USE THE KETTLE BELL!
That’s my weight-loss update for the week, and I’m off to swing the bell.
How did you do this week?