A few weeks ago, Perry Boy decided he wanted to earn enough money to buy a racetrack. He may be only 5, but he had obviously put some thought into this. After a few minutes on Walmart.com and Amazon, he already knew the features he was looking for:
He wanted something…
- cool, that his friends would love.
- that more than one person could use at a time, so it would be easy to share.
- that wouldn’t break easily – a big problem in our house.
- that he could easily take to other places. This ruled out the ones that attach to the walls.
- that didn’t take batteries, so he would never need to worry about running them down. He was adamant about this, and I was thrilled.
He didn’t find anything that fit his requirements, but he was unfazed. He immediately started earning money, begging for any paying job he could find. He made my bed daily, brought me my Super Mom vitamins, honed his flyswatting skills, cleaned chicken poop off the deck stairs, picked up trash in the yard. He was tireless and relentless.
After a week, he had $8 and was ready to make a decision. I warned him that he was going to need more money, but I wanted him to stay motivated so we got online to look some more.
That’s when we discovered the Blu Track. Perry was instantly transfixed, and spent hours poring over the possibilities. The info on Amazon was sketchy, but at BluTrack.com we found tons of photos submitted by actual owners.
For me it was a no-brainer, but I self-consciously held back and let him make the choice. We went over his list of features he was looking for and how each racetrack we had looked at lined up. He realized on his own that only the Blu Track fit the bill. He still wanted to be sure, though, and decided to think about it for a few days. I didn’t blame him. This one didn’t have the plastic dragon or flashy decals or gimmicks, but he was very impressed with what people did with it in the videos.
He loved the overall length, and the fact that it could be temporarily attached to doors, walls, and other high areas. He had visions of sending cars careening off the edge of the deck! He was sold when he saw the video of a track running over a grandfather’s head.
After a couple of days, he told me that he was very sure this was the track he wanted. BluTrack fit all of Perry’s requirements, and we were able to help him get it. He has taken it to a church retreat, to work with his dad, to church, to the big Thanksgiving family gathering. Everywhere, it was a hit. After more than a month, he’s still smitten.
Blu Tracks can be set up in endless variations, with loops and curves, jumps and valleys. Configurations take some tweaking and trials, but that’s part of the fun. Kids have to think about what they’re doing, why it didn’t work the first time, and how to improve the design. You should hear the triumphant whoops when the car makes a jump and lands right in a bucket of water!
Don’t tell, but we already ordered a 50′ track and some ramps to go with his 18′ track! He’s going to be one happy boy in a few weeks!
What do I like about it?
- I love that unlike so many toys these days, the Blu Track required creativity. I hate toys that do all the entertaining while children sit and watch. The Blu Track slogan is, “We make the track… YOU make the fun!”
- I love that it’s virtually indestructible.
- I love that it has 2 tracks, so kids can race their cars at the same time.
- No batteries. My boy has my heart on that matter.
ENTER THE GIVEAWAY!
To enter the giveaway, do any or all of the following. Please leave a separate comment here for each entry.
- Tell why you want to win this giveaway.
- Like Blu Track on Facebook.
- Like Life in a Shoe on Facebook.
- Share this giveaway on Facebook. There’s a button below to make it easy.
- Subscribe to Life in a Shoe. You can use the box at the top of the sidebar to subscribe by email if you prefer. If you’re already a subscriber, that counts too!
- Join the Life in a Shoe newsletter to be automatically entered in every giveaway. No need to leave a comment for this one! Note: this is not the same as subscribing to our blog posts.
- For 3 bonus entries, blog about this giveaway. Remember to leave 3 comments for this so you’ll be entered 3 times.
We will take entries until Friday, December 16, then choose a random winner!
This giveaway has ended. The winner, chosen by Random.org, was Christian.by