Toothbrush holders for 12

Over the years, I’ve been frustrated at the difficulty we have in keeping our toothbrushes straight (who has light purple stripes this month?!) and keeping them clean.  The standard store-bought holder rarely holds more than 4, and never 12.  A coffee mug or pint jar is big enough to hold them all, but it quickly collects slime in the bottom.  It also seems to collect extra anonymous toothbrushes, and nobody is ever quite sure which toothbrushes belongs to no one in particular, so it’s hard to thin them.

After poking around the internet a bit, I found the perfect solution for our family, the Hang Away Universal Toothbrush Holder.  Each holds 4 toothbrushes, so I installed 3 on the side of the bathroom cabinet.

Why is it perfect?  Let me count the ways.

1. It’s cheap: less than $4.
  2. It’s durable.  After more than a year of daily use by kids, only one plastic prong on one holder has broken.
  3. It’s easy to install.  One piece of strong double-sided tape (included) does the job.
  4. It’s not made by me.  No procrastination necessary.
  5. It’s out of reach of the toddler, so we never have to wonder why our toothbrushes are out of the countertop holder and where else they have been.
  6. Everyone has an assigned spot, so there’s no place for anonymous toothbrushes to hang out.
  7. Since everyone has an assigned spot, trying to find toothbrushes in 12 different colors is optional.
  8. I have an assigned spot, so I don’t have to try to remember what my own toothbrush looks like and spot it in a bristling mass.
  9. If someone’s toothbrush is mysteriously missing, I don’t have to rely on their personal hygiene habits to let me know.  Haven’t you ever said, “What do you mean you don’t know where your toothbrush is? How long has it been gone?  YOU DON’T KNOW?!

And if you happen to have 4 or 5 teenage daughters who are always stealing your razor because they can’t remember which one belongs to whom and yours works the best, it also holds those.

Um…it holds the razors.  Not the teenagers.

Comments

1. Priscilla W says:

We have that holder and like it for toothbrushes! And razors. I’ve met the creator of it, she needs help getting the word out about the product. We want her to keep making them.

2. Kim, that is so cool. I’d much rather our items be out of view, but it isn’t possible. Our house is much like yours in size and rooms. We have 1.5 baths and all the kids have their toiletries in the half bath. Once we hit #5 I had to figure something out. I bought one of those over the door shoe rack things and everyone has 2 pockets. Adam has more since he’s bigger and shaves now. They get one for a brush and comb and #2 for toothbrush, toothpaste, brush timer, and floss. I started to not buy 5 tubes of toothpaste but then I realized it wasn’t costing any more. anyway, love your idea thing.

3. Oh, my I wish i would have thought of this. Thank you for the wonderful tip. I am so doing this.

4. We are a family of 10, soon to be 11 and this sounds perfect. We have a couple of the cup holders but I end up pitching them after a few weeks. Maybe I’ll see if there is a way for them to be installed on the inside of the door not the side though, our cabinets are wall to wall in the kids bathroom.

5. Haha! # 9 totally cracked me up because, yes, I have said that exact thing! (So now I’m hoping you really have too, and are not just being funny!) One of my favorite toothbrush stories comes from a friend who was taking her 9-year-old son to church camp. On the way she asked if he had remembered to pack his toothbrush. “No,” he said, “but don’t worry, Mom. I’ll only be gone a week.” !!! 🙂

6. This is EXACTLY what we need. I have 11 children (the youngest only 2 weeks old, so she doesn’t need a toothbrush yet), and I am constantly seeing toothbrushes out of place. I tried the cup thing and the individual cup thing, and neither works. I have them in my cart on Amazon and just need to show the hubby. Thanks for posting this!

7. Um, kim? This is a great system but what about drippage? I’m a germ-a-phobe so my reserved spot has to be on the top row. 🙂

• Mary S. says:

Drips were my first thought too! Other than the drip issue though it looks perfect. If I were to implement the system I would just position them differently (I think I could fit them horizontally on the linen closet in my bathroom)

• I didn’t think about that, but my spot is on the top row because I’m one of the tallest people in the house.
      You could just put them in a single row, but I wanted some higher and some lower for the medium-sized people.

• I’m a germ-a-phobe for a different reason. Our toothbrushes have to be inside a cabinet or drawer because of the issue of microscopic droplets traveling (up to 6 ft away, I believe it is) when toilets are flushed, even if the lid is down. My nursing training just couldn’t deal with it any other way.

• I’m far from a germ-a-phobe, but I’m going to pretend you didn’t just tell me that. 6 feet covers pretty much the whole bathroom, and there’s no way to remotely flush the toilet after I leave the room. Of course I’m sure there are microscopic droplets of something floating around every time I change a diaper, too (how else would you smell the stuff?) and I’m still alive after something like 60,000 diaper changes. So are my children, for that matter.
        So my response: lalalalala not listening…
        😉

8. Marijo Taverne says:

I have said things like that, yes. But mine aren’t old enough to shave. Yet.

9. Heather Wawa says:

I’ve searched long and hard to find a toothbrush holder for our family of 8. No such luck but THIS we could do.

At the moment, each child has their brush in a traveling toothbrush holder. That’s ok but they’re getting awfully dirty and scummy.

• those traveling toothbrush holders wash. I have the kind that comes in two parts. I just put them over the tines in the dishwasher. (top shelf) The come out like new.

10. Hey! I have that same cabinet in MY bathroom. Only my shelf has a ton of books on it. 🙂

11. We use the kind that suction cups to the mirror (big vanity mirror) and has a holder for the toothpaste. Colored post it dots help in remembering which one belongs to who. Cheap at Walgreens.

12. Aack! This is exactly what I need … for ALL of the reasons that you mentioned! Thank you so much!

13. Where will you put the next row? 🙂

I think I’ll give this a try. So far, what we’re doing isn’t working.lol

14. This is brilliant!! Thanks for posting.
    Becky

15. I have been looking for these for years! Seriously. Thanks!

16. Kris Mays says:

Exactly what we need. THANKS!

17. *snort* #9 has me giggling! 🙂

18. I keep our toothbrushes in a travel holder. Each tooth brush is clean and each person has their own color. This has worked for us for years. I can wash the travel holder from time to time too.

19. I’ve never seen anything like that before! My 4 kids share a bathroom, so their toothbrushes are the only ones in there {or should be, anyway!}. This would be perfect for in there to keep their counter top clutter free.

20. Melanie says:

Hahaha!! This post brought joy to my heart on a blustery, snowfall warning day. 🙂 I’ll be sure to keep this in mind.

21. Amy Osborn says:

Thanks, Just what I was looking for.