12 weeks: I heard the heartbeat! {pregnancy update}

At 12 weeks, I’m already wondering if it will be practical to keep posting weekly updates.  Does anyone really want to hear about this every single week?  Will I have something new to say every single week?  Maybe I’m just feeling a little bleh because in spite of the fact that I was feeling so much better last week, this week I feel like my morning sickness has stabilized.  I’m not complaining – it’s mild and manageable, but it’s still ever-present.

Actually, I should just shut up now, because it’s mild enough that I was filled with relief to hear the baby’s heartbeat at my first prenatal appointment.  It took a long 5 minutes to find with the doppler, since baby wasn’t cooperating.  I have had 2 early miscarriages in the past, and both were preceded by a stark and startling absence of morning sickness, so I’m reassured by a little nausea – even if I do tend to complain about it.

And although I feel like a complainer, my family insists that I don’t complain.  I just have a tendency to look…somber.  Then they know that it’s time to bring me food and pressure me to eat it even though it doesn’t sound good and I’m not really hungry.  We all know that I’ll feel better in 10 seconds if I obey.  That’s how my morning sickness works this time, and when I’m not being somber I am sensible enough to realize how incredibly blessed I am not to be puking my guts out 20 times/day.

That’s what I’m up to.  Here is what the baby is doing at 12 weeks:

• The baby is now about 2.5 inches from crown to rump and weighs about 0.7 ounce (20 g).
  • The feet are almost half an inch (1cm) long.
  • The baby starts moving spontaneously.
  • The baby now has a chin and a nose and a facial profile.
  • Vocal chords are complete, and the baby can and does sometimes cry silently.
  • Fingernails and toenails appear.
  • The baby can suck his thumb, and get hiccups.

I know I said I wanted to post a pic every week in my new favorite dress, but I’m on my way out the door right now and that’s not what I’m wearing.  No time to change: here’s the real me:

Um…never mind what I just said.  There’s always time to change into your favorite dress!

12 weeks pregnant with baby #11!

See?  Much more belly this week than last week.  You should see me sitting down with relaxed abs and slouchy back. :)

What’s changed in your pregnancy over the last week?  Bonus points if you share a pic!

Comments

1. Oh sweet heart, if you feel like sharing your updates please do. It is fun for me to read them and I can ‘relive’ my pregnant days. I was blessed with just two children. I wanted more, many more, but it was not to be. So I like to share with you through this blog. May God bless and keep you.

2. Yes, keep up the weekly updates. I am 14 weeks along with #7! It is fun to go through the weeks with other expecting moms! It helps remind me to pray for you and baby too!

3. I love the weekly updates. I wish I had been good about doing something like that during all ofmy pregnancies. It has been so useful to be able to go back and look up information I recorded from previous pregnancies, but I also like to see what I was thinking, feeling, etc. Sometimes, it might be the only recording that I might be doing for my kids….keep yours coming :)
    This week, I will hit 34 weeks, and though I feel like I can hardly walk by the end of the day, I feel great otherwise :) This baby just feels so much different than my others…and I am so incredibly curious to see how his/her personality is going to join and affect the mix.

4. Well, I hope you keep up with the updates! I’m 12 weeks along with #8 … so I would find it so much fun to kinda ‘follow along’ with someone. Congrats and I hope we both feel better soon! :)

5. Keep those updates coming! I love to hear about how you are doing with your pregnacy!! What’s the heart rate running?:))) So happy for you!!

6. Status updates for sure! Did you count the heartbeats…fast or slow? guesses for a boy or girl? It should be a boy. :o)

• I think the heartrate was in the 150′s when we finally heard it loud and clear. She said it kept showing up on her doppler screen, but just took forever to find a good spot because the placenta is probably anterior, as another reader mentioned.
      That probably means I won’t feel movement until late, too. :(

7. Heatherr says:

I LOVE the updates. I am so very happy for you! Will you be attending the Arlington HS fair this year? I remember last year you were dog sitting….lol

8. Cindee N. says:

Continue with updates, of course!! :) I’m 30+ weeks right now but at 19 weeks I woke up in the night feeling decidedly different, lacking nausea, and suddenly feeling like I was no longer pregnant. Also, I had yet to feel the baby move. I was pretty certain the baby was gone and I just hadn’t miscarried yet. Several days later I went to the doctor for a routine OB check and when he went to listen for the heartbeat (I hadn’t shared my fears with him) it took FOREVER to pick it up and I just figured that, yep, this is what I was expecting. Finally he picked up the heartbeat! Turns out that my placenta is anterior (in the front rather than the back) and that masks the baby’s movements and I wouldn’t feel it for another while yet. Once it was bigger and stronger I started feeling the movements and now it’s more like my previous pregnancies have been. All that to say that it took my doc a while to get the heartbeat because of the placenta being in the way. Perhaps it’s the same for you. Oh, and the nausea is back… on and off to varying degrees, though not as bad as before.

• Cindee, I know *exactly* what you mean. I had a very similar scary few days when I was 18 weeks pregnant with Bethany – I posted about it here: http://inashoe.com/2008/01/celebrating-life/. Like you, it turned out I had an anterior placenta with Bethany and began to feel movement soon after, but never felt a whole lot compared to my other pregnancies.

9. Melissa says:

I love the updates. It helps me keep track of how far I am in my pregnancy (I’m due October 14, so within days of you, and currently 12 weeks as well).

Random fact: I was due within a week or so of you when you were expecting Parker too…. And I think Bethany is only a few months different in age from our eldest. :)

• Melissa, how fun that we’ve been so close in our last several pregnancies! Did you have any before 2008? My last before that was late June, 2006.

• Melissa says:

Nope, ’08 was our first pregnancy! We have an ’08 (November), ’10 (June), and now are going to have a ’12. We’re just getting started. :) I’m sincerely hoping for a September/October baby, but am almost expecting another November baby, as I’ve had two VERY late babies so far, the second being later than the first by far. I even told my midwife my due date and then told her to just think at least a week later for the due date and another 1-2 weeks beyond that for the delivery date. She laughed at me. When we found out I was expecting one of my first thoughts was “I wonder if the Coughlans are expecting too…” :)

10. I’m about two weeks behind you, so I love the updates, I can follow it with you. I can’t believe we’re already so far along, last pregnancy the HG was so bad that it felt like the first trimester lasted a lifetime. The idea that I’m almos 11 weeks, almost into the second trimester is just amazing! Now I’m much like you, the nausea is controlled well (with medication in my case) and it’s there just enough to complain about, and give reassurance. I’m just sick enough to want to do nothing but sit infront of the computer and TV.

There’s a fair chance of us actually delivering within days of each other. I have a 50% chance of developing cholestasis again, which, last time, meant a week 37 induction, at which point you’ll be in your 39th week. Do you usually deliver early or late? Or a mix :P

• I tend to deliver a few days late, but you never know! Glad the medication is working for you. My sil is due very close to me and has already been to the hospital 3 times for dehydration in spite of the zofran.

11. I too like to read pregnancy updates whenever people have the time to post them. i love listening to the heartbeat too.

Last week we finally announced 3rd our pregnancy to family and then on our blog, after our first prenatal appointment at a Chinese hospital went well.

12. Yes, yes, yes please! I’m not pregnant right now and would love to live it with you :) Hope the end of the morning sickness comes soon :)

13. I love the updates! Thank you for allowing us to share in the journey.

14. Sarah N says:

I personally love hearing an update every week!!! Even if it’s nothing much, info-wise, it’s fun to see your belly growing, if nothing else!

15. Yes, yes, I want to keep hearing an update each week of this little miracle’s pregnancy! You share them in such a way that I worship every time. It’s incredible to me that it’s possible to hear the heartbeat of a 2.5″ baby! HalleluYah!

16. HeatherHH says:

I’d never manage a weekly update. Other than posting a fetal development link, it just doesn’t feel like there’s that much to say each week. I personally would go for updates every 4 weeks, unless something significant occurs. Maybe switch to every 2 weeks for the last couple months….

17. I love the preggy updates. :)

18. Congratulations on the new little one! This all sounds so exciting; I know your family must be eager about the new arrival. :)

19. I dont know about everyone else but I would quite like to see a pregnancy update every week. I started recording things at week 17 as until then I wouldnt let myself get even vaguely excited about it due to my past history with miscarriages. I also wish I had taken photos of me earlier on so I could see the transformation from week 7 to week 20. Now I am not so bothered and have taken photos every couple of weeks but am going to wear the same outift at 30 weeks and if I make it to 40 as well as then I will have a clear pic of how I changed every 10 weeks. I completely understand how you feel about the sickness, even though I absolutely hated feeling so rubbish I was glad it was there as like you when I have had miscarriages in the past the sickness has went away first. I just wish now that baby would learn to kick its mum a bit harder as even at 26 weeks I still really have to concentrate on feeling it kick rather than the continuous battering my friends seem to get from there babies! Looking forward to next weeks update! x

PS I promise once in a while when I comment I will not leave an essay!!

• Aileen, I love your long and enthusiastic comments! I have to admit I also enjoy your slightly foreign vocabulary: while I do know what rubbish is, I’ve never known an American to use the word. :)