What is your favorite use for cottage cheese?

Last week I went to Costco with sour cream and cottage cheese on my list, among other things.  I buy sour cream regularly, but cottage cheese rarely because only a couple of us enjoy it.  Somehow I came home with two 3 lb. tubs of cottage cheese and no sour cream at all!

Now I need your help.  I know cottage cheese can replace the ricotta in lasagna, but that’s definitely not one of our favorite summertime recipes.  What is your favorite way to use cottage cheese?

Oh – and while we’re on the subject of food, I bought the Two Sisters cookbook at the Reformation of Food & the Family conference.  I’m really excited about using it, but I hardly know where to start.  Actually, I know exactly where to start: the recipe they were giving away as samples at their booth: Carob-Cashew Balls.  We’ll make ours with almonds and real chocolate chips.  :)

But after that, what next?  It all looks good!  Do you have the book?  What are some of your favorite recipes?

Comments

1. We love to eat cottage cheese with any of these toppings:
    Sweet – honey, fruit (dried, frozen, or fresh), apple sauce, apple butter (or any fruit butter like my prune butter.
    Savory – homemade seasoned salt, or even Crystal hot sauce!
    When I don’t make our own ricotta cheese for lasagna, I simply blend up the cottage cheese a bit with a stick blender so it’s more smooth.

2. My favorite use for cottage cheese is actually something very simple – pour some applesauce on top! It’s been a favorite snack of mine ever since I was little, although I think I have yet to hear of someone else who does it. :-)

Another thing we like to make is cottage cheese pancakes (I don’t have the recipe handy so you can probably find it online). :-) YUM!

3. Kim, try this http://frazzledfood.blogspot.com/2012/04/beefy-mexican-lasagna.html, but double or triple it for your crew. I also use 9×13 pans. I double it for my 8, but my kids really put away the food. It isn’t heavy like lasagna or traditional casseroles, but comes out more like a taco salad. And for the kiddos that don’t like cottage cheese (I can’t stand it because it triggers my gag reflex), you don’t notice it at all. So make it and don’t tell them it’s in there until they tell you how much they like it!

4. Bethany says:

Cottage Cheese and Potato Chips! It’s one of the things I crave when I’m pregnant (along with spicy mexican food). Sweet potato chips taste good with it too, after I found out regular potatoes caused my arthritis. Such a tasty snack. I know, not a recipe, but it’s so good. Otherwise, I’ve used it in lasagna before instead of ricotta.

5. I just made a baked oatmeal recipe with cottage cheese in it, which tasted great and the protein in the cottage cheese helps to curb the carb uptake. Other than that and lasagna, my family doesn’t care for cottage cheese plain or with fruit. Just cooked in things.

6. I put 1 cup of cottage cheese in the food processor and whir it until it’s smooth. I then add in 1 cup of greek yogurt and ranch seasonings and whir until it’s all blended. It’s great with fresh veggies and if you use low-fat cottage cheese and yogurt, it is very low fat and high protein. I have substituted this for ranch deep and people have eaten it up and had no clue it was healthy.

7. Mmmmmm, cottage cheese on buttered toast. Mmmmm.
    Also on a bed of lettuce with pears and a bit of pear juice dribbled over (or canned pears, or canned fruit cocktail).
    Also all by itself.
    I never seem to have enough cottage cheese around here.

8. Mix cottage cheese with cinnamon & sugar & use as a filling in crepes. Yummo.

9. Hi Kim,

I don’t have much help for you with the cottage cheese other than putting it on crackers with pepper and adding other toppings, BUT I’d be really interested to hear more about the Two Sisters cookbook as you experiment. I wonder if you will see the health improvements (incl. improvements in teenage acne – if any of yours have any) by following this diet.

Glad to hear all is well with you and baby.

In Him

Meredith

10. Kathleen says:

My family has the Two Sisters cookbook, and everyone loves the blueberry muffins.

11. What a great post topic, Kim!

I’m not a big fan of cottage cheese in sweet things, although I’m trying to tell myself that it’s really just another dairy product, after all. I like the idea of blending it up, and I like the ideas that have been shared here.

Thanks:)!

12. Mix it with equal parts flavored yogurt for a protein and carb balanced breakfast. Lasts a long time in the tummy like oatmeal, but has a healthy dose of protein. You will be surprised by how yummy it is. I don’t really like either alone, but together, yum!

13. It is WAY TOO HOT to turn on an oven!!! Maybe some of these folks don’t understand a Texas summer. : )
    Anyways, one of my favorite uses for cottage cheese is this skillet pasta. http://www.tasteofhome.com/Recipes/Skillet-Pasta-Florentine
    I use all cottage cheese instead of the ricotta/cottage cheese mix. And it doesn’t require an oven.

14. Cottage cheese with garlic salt sprinkled over and perhaps some salami and maybe mustard underneath on fresh bread or crackers :-)

15. Up here this time of year, we have lots of zuchini. Here is a fabulous recipe for Cottage cheese and zukes. Butter a 13×9 baking dish. Layer thin cut rounds of zuchini on the bottom. Spread with cottage cheese, sprinkle with oregano, black peper, and garlic and onion(oregano is the key, though). Sprinkle with mozzarella/Parmesan. Layer another layer of zuchini over this and top with more cheeses. Top with more zukes and a brush of melted butter and herbs. Cover with foil and bake at 350* for about an hour.
    Also, try making lasagna in the crock pot, just layer it higher. Also, since we eat gluten free, I mix up gf noodle dough and cut the noodles to fit the crock pot. Just be sure to use fresh HOT sauce and have the crock on high before you layer it in. Takes about 2 hours on high heat. Still warms the kitchen, but less than the oven!
    We also use it as a topping on casseroles and potatoes like you would sour cream. And if you blend it some, you can’t tell–you might be able to use blended c.c. in place of sour cream in homemade ranch dressing. Good luck!
    And no matter what you say, I’m sure you love the fact that you kept us hanging about the baby!! You may apologize on the outside, but inside, you’re like, “hehehehehe. Keep em all in suspense!!ahahahahah(evil laugh!)”(We know you, Kim!! We all haven’t followed your last 3 births for nothing!

16. If you like cherries,Mix 2 cans Marashino cherries in with the Cottage cheese and let sit over night-you have a scrumptious and refreshing, not to mention, pretty dessert.

17. Amish Breakfast Casserole
    I usually add diced ham instead of bacon, and also add spinach and peppers. But it’s also good as is! :-)

18. JessicaC says:

Strawberry Cheesecake Shakes!

It all goes in the blender, so there’s no chunks, but it is super creamy and fabulous!

19. I don’t have the recipe anymore but growing up in a family of 10 my favorite pancakes were cottage cheese pancakes or “high-protein” pancakes. They were made in a blender with a high proportion of cottage cheese and eggs. The blender made the batter very smooth and thin, so they tasted like crepes although cooked on a regular griddle, but the cottage cheese and eggs kept them more filling than would be expected from ordinary crepes.

20. Cottage Cheese Pancakes

In blender put:

2 Cups Cottage Cheese
    2 Cups Oatmeal
    1/2 tsp salt
    1 tsp Vanilla
    1 tsp Cinnamon
    8 Eggs

Blend til smooth; cook on hot griddle, top with your favorite pancake toppings. We usually have to make 2 batches for our family of 10.

21. You can put it in smoothies in place of yogurt. It will end up nice and smooth, and nobody will ever know it is cottage cheese.

22. Jane H. says:

Lasagna will freeze well, so you could do a couple pans and freeze if you have the room. I’m not a big cottage cheeze eater either, but guess I like it best with fruit….another way friends like it is with garden fresh tomatoes and pepper on them….that sounds good straight from the garden.
    Now as far as the baby, I’ve not been a follower as long…..could you give us a little hint as to where we might go looking. I’m older than most of your followers, I’m sure and my skills at finding clues aren’t as sharp as they once were.

23. Adrienne says:

One of my favorite ways to use up cottage cheese and eggs:

24. ( : David'sKate : ) says:

The recipe that I REALLY like is called “Pita Calazone” and it’s EASY and FAST!
    1. Get a pita bread and cut it in half to make a pocket.
    2. Open pocket and spread 3 TB(+/-) cottage cheese inside.
    3. Add chopped veggies (bell peppers) and cheese of choice (mozzarella). Repeat with other pita half.
    4. Wrap the halves in foil, place on a baking sheet.
    5. Bake at 350 for 15-20 min, til everything is melted together.
    6. Serve with marinara sauce and enjoy!
    Oh I wish I had the stuff to make this today!!! I suppose you could do something similar with bread or tortillas; improvise!

25. Mmmm…my favorite is confetti salad sandwiches. Buy or make some hard French rolls (about the cheapest way to get french bread!)
    Then mix 1 chopped sweet onion, 1 chopped bell or mildly hot (anaheim or banana) pepper, 1 large tomato, and 1 pint cottage cheese in a bowl and season with Lawry’s salt or salt and pepper if you prefer (I like the low-salt Lawrys–you get more seasoning for your salt.)
    Slice the hard rolls open halfway (so they make a little pocket), press the insides down to make a cavity, and fill with the salad for a delicious warm-weather sandwich. I’m vegetarian, but you could add your favorite cold meat if you liked.
    They would also make good pizza sandwiches if you wrapped them in foil and baked them at 375 degrees for 20-30 minutes (just until the cottage cheese is melted). We usually do these with regular cheese and olives and a little red pepper flake added to the other veggies, and they make a sandwich that tastes good when nothing else does (like when mountain climbing). :)

26. Puree (a food processor works best but a blender will work too) 16oz cottage cheese with 2-3 shredded carrots and a handful of fresh dill. A sprinkling of toasted sesame seeds does wonders. Salt to taste.

We love this on wrap sandwiches and as a dip.

27. my kids love cottage cheese patties ! We have them with tomato sauce or gravy ( cream soup) and veggies. i got the recipe from Carla Emery’s Encyclopedia of country living, but now I just put whatever i eel like in thee to thebase recipe…we love fennel in them!
    equal parts cottage cheese, bread crumbs, and oatl meal. 2 eggs for every cup o cottage cheese. Wemix that and then add whatever seasoning we want and sometimes chopped onions or fennel. Form into balls, then slightly flatten into patties, an fry the outsides eough just to brown them ( my husband just uses the George Foreman Grill…) and then bake at 350 fro 30 minutes, in sauce or no. It canbe used like ameat substitute,and even my meat lovinghusbanddoesn’tmind eating vegetarian once a week or so when we eat this.

28. Seriously? You still haven’t made the announcement! This is way past annoying….!!! On a slightly different note, I’ll be curious to know if you still feel like you cheated when this little one arrives. I enjoy the ‘prepared’ feeling knowing gives me and I can hardly imagine birth being anticlimactic no matter what you know ahead of time. Plus, you have that much longer to be excited about the gender! Neat that you will be able to experience both – I’ve known ahead of time for every single one (by choice, yes).

29. Eat plain or mixed with a natural ranch powder with pork rinds.

30. Well, this isn’t a recipe, but I always love canned peaches (with their juice) with cottage cheese. Mix the juice in the cottage cheese a bit, and mmmm…. :)

31. I blend up cottage cheese, add almond extract and sweeten it to make an almond cream sauce. I usually put this over microwaved “baked” dice apples but I imagine you could use it over any number of things… cake, oatmeal, applesauce come to mind. I’ve also used pureed cottage cheese as a base for ranch dressing and mixed with cream cheese as a base for cheesecake.

32. Kristen C says:

Not a recipe, but I love to dip BBQ chips in cottage cheese! The crunch of that (or crackers) helps with the lumpy cottage cheese texture.

33. http://allrecipes.com/recipe/creamed-cottage-cheese-pie/detail.aspx

We make this, Its an amish style Cottage cheese pie with relatively little sugar. The recipe can easily be adapted for a 9×13 or roaster size. Its tasty and relatively healthy, raisins are optional.

34. Melissa M. says:

We put cottage cheese in our lasagna instead of ricotta. It’s quite good that way. We also like it in a dessert we call “Pink Cloud,” (or “Orange Sunset,” etc., depending on the color/flavor) which is jello (both jelled and the powder), mini marshmallows, fruit, whipped cream, and cottage cheese. Not the healthiest dishes, true–but tasty.

• I love this too but don’t make it much since my recipe calls for cool whip which I don’t think is too healthy. My recipe calls for package of pistachio pudding mixed into large tub of full fat cottage cheese, can of drained crushed pineapple mixed in then fold carton of coolwhip in. Anyone ever tried it with real cream to see if will hold up?

35. Cheesy Beef Casserole:
    I do the last step out on the gas grill during the summer heat!

36. I love my berry “cheesecake”. cottage cheese, yogurt, berries, macadmia nuts. Tastes best with vanilla yogurt.

37. I’m not a huge fan of cottage cheese…and I’ve always preferred it savory when I do have it. But I came across this recipe in a book written by Jordan Rubin. 6-8 oz. Of cottage cheese, some fruit (pineapple, peaches,or berries), some honey and a dash of vanilla extract. Have this with a handful of almonds, or what I did was crush up the almonds into almost a powder and mixed them right in :-) You can have this for breakfast or a healthy dessert!!! Like I said, I don’t usually like cottage cheese….but this is delish!!!

38. Mix the cottage cheese with honey and cinnamon for a fruit dip or with savory Herbs for a veggie dip. You can blend it if it’s a texture thing. My Grandpa use to love cooked egg noodles mixed with a bit of butter,salt,pepper and cottage cheese.

39. Oh – I LOVE the two sisters cookbook! My favorite is probably the “warm dinner sandwiches,” but they are all really good. You really can’t go wrong. I am happy that you have the book and are telling more people about it! (and great posts on the conference too – I wish I could have attended, but I was there in spirit!)