- How do I know that they are below grade level?
- Is the scale/test fair and accurate?
- Who am I comparing them to?
- Do we have the same priorities, or do my children excel in other areas that are more important to me?
- Are these areas where a large variation is normal or acceptable, or subjects that I am teaching in a different order/style than others, so that my children would score poorly on a test written for a particular scope & sequence?
- Are they behind in just one subject or several?
- Are all of the children struggling in the same areas?
- Do we need different curriculum or teaching plan?
- Are we trying to do too much?
- Do we need to cut out some extra activities and focus on more structured school time?
- Do we need to schedule more reading or read alouds?
- Are they wasting too much time on TV, video games, etc?
- Are there character issues or learning disabilities that need to be addressed?
I can’t make your list of questions for you, but this is where I would start.
- The Chronicles of Narnia
- The Little House on the Prairie series
- Ramona books
- Ten Peas in a Pod
- Boxcar Children series (the first 10-20 books)
- The Hobbit (currently being read as a bedtime story to the boys by big sister Megan)
There have been many more, and if my children read this post I’m sure they’ll remind me of what I have forgotten so I can update the list.
See what questions the other Moms are answering: