Edited to remove something stupid and insensitive. What was I thinking?
The following post has absolutely nothing to do with the fact that my loving husband has quit buying me chocolate ice cream because he is doing his best to be supportive of my weight-loss endeavors. I don’t know why you would even think that. Anyway, he knows that chocolate ice cream is low on the glycemic index and therefore very helpful in keeping my hypoglycemia under control.
10 Reasons You Have a Headache
- You’re dehydrated. Drink plenty of
waterStarbucks style frap. Add cocoa powder to make it easier to take in the quantity of fluids you so badly need.
- You have low blood pressure, like I often do. It will go up if you find a scorpion in your bed. You’ll need some chocolate afterwards.
- You have low blood chocolate. The verdict is out on whether chocolate is a cause or a cure when it comes to headaches but I choose to believe that it helps mine, and we all know the power of suggestion.
- Your kids are too loud. Maybe they’re bored. Maybe you should give them some work. Hey, where did they go?! Quick, get the ice cream and a spoon…
- You are suffering from caffeine withdrawal. Chocolate has caffeine. It may take a lot, but you want to get rid of your headache, don’t you?
- Too much caffeine. See? You should have had chocolate instead of coffee. Less caffeine.
- It’s hormonal. That’s the price of being a woman, but there is an upside: everyone expects you to eat more chocolate.
- You’re short on sleep. Duh. You’re a mom. Chocolate has just the right amount of sugar and caffeine to get you through a long day, plus it has proven anti-depressant properties.
- You’re stressed or prone to high blood pressure. Did you know chocolate is well-established as a stress reducer?
- You have low blood sugar. Dark chocolate is relatively low on the glycemic scale and gives a moderate, sustained rise.
Did you know that chocolate comes from the cocoa bean? Beans are vegetables. When you add milk, you have one serving each of vegetable and dairy. It’s a lot like eating broccoli and cheese sauce.
I have this theory that chocolate slows down the aging process…. It may not be true, but do I dare take the chance?
Diet tip: Eat a chocolate bar before each meal. It’ll take the edge off your appetite, and you’ll eat less. I’ve actually done this with a tablespoon of chocolate chips. It works!
If I eat equal amounts of dark chocolate and white chocolate, is that a balanced diet? Don’t they actually counteract each other?
Anything is good and useful if it’s made of chocolate.
Have you ever tried chocolate with cayenne added? The gentle spicy kick is a perfect accent. It’s also good with orange, toffee, coffee, peanut butter, bacon, almonds, sea salt, raisins, and raspberries.
OK, I’ve never actually tried chocolate with bacon, but I feel confident in recommending it. Why not?
image credit: Whizzy