I flipped through my recipe box this morning while breakfast was cooking, and found this old favorite:
Easy Toffee Candy
makes 50 pieces – great for gifts
1 1/4 cups butter, divided
35-40 saltine-style crackers
1 cup dark brown sugar
1 can sweetened condensed milk
1 1/2 cup chocolate chips
3/4 cups finely chopped walnuts
- Melt 1/4 cup butter; pour into foil-lined jelly roll pan.
- Arrange crackers over butter, evenly spaced.
- Melt remaining butter; add sugar and boil 2 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat and add condensed milk. Spread over crackers.
- Bake at 375 for 10-12 minutes, until bubbly and slightly darkened.
- Remove from oven, cool 1 minute, and sprinkle with chocolate chips. Let stand 5 minutes (until chocolate is soft and melty) and spread.
- Sprinkle with nuts; press lightly into chocolate.
- Cool; refrigerate until chocolate is set.
- Remove foil and cut candy.
Yum! Rich, delicious and very impressive, and much faster and easier than it sounds. No one can ever guess the saltine cracker base – it tastes a lot like Almond Roca.